Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I noticed that my Jeep felt sluggish. I have to press the gas pedal a little harder to get her moving. Any ideas what this can be? She is a 2012 Rubi auto with 4.10 gears, stock suspension and tires. Almost 31k miles on the odometer. It feels like the hand brake is engaged while driving but its all the way down. The engine isn't sputtering or anything like that. It just feels like some sort of resistance. Another analogy would be it feels like there is some twine wrapping itself around the axles causing it to slow down. I have a feeling my hand brake might be engaged even though its not engaged but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
781 Posts
On Saturday I noticed that my Jeep felt sluggish. I have to press the gas pedal a little harder to get her moving. Any ideas what this can be? She is a 2012 Rubi auto with 4.10 gears, stock suspension and tires. Almost 31k miles on the odometer. It feels like the hand brake is engaged while driving but its all the way down. The engine isn't sputtering or anything like that. It just feels like some sort of resistance. Another analogy would be it feels like there is some twine wrapping itself around the axles causing it to slow down. I have a feeling my hand brake might be engaged even though its not engaged but any help would be appreciated.
Sounds like it could be a breathing problem- clogged intake or clogged exhaust. I've owned 2 Ram trucks that ate their own catalytic converters. The cat basically disintegrated and clogged the exhaust before the muffler. The only symptom was seriously diminished power that got worse and worse over time (as the cat continued to break up and clog the pipe). Have someone rev the motor while you stand at the rear pipe and try to judge whether the airflow seems weaker than it should be. (Be careful of flying debris though!)

Obviously this might not be your issue at all but the first time it happened to me I couldn't figure it out for the life of me- even paid AAMCO to rebuild my transmission (according to their faulty diagnosis). Good luck!

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like it could be a breathing problem- clogged intake or clogged exhaust. I've owned 2 Ram trucks that ate their own catalytic converters. The cat basically disintegrated and clogged the exhaust before the muffler. The only symptom was seriously diminished power that got worse and worse over time (as the cat continued to break up and clog the pipe). Have someone rev the motor while you stand at the rear pipe and try to judge whether the airflow seems weaker than it should be. (Be careful of flying debris though!)

Obviously this might not be your issue at all but the first time it happened to me I couldn't figure it out for the life of me- even paid AAMCO to rebuild my transmission (according to their faulty diagnosis). Good luck!
I'll give that a go. I thought it was just me until my wife drove it to work and text me asking if it felt sluggish. She has put many miles on it herself and she knows how it should feel. Saturday was the first day I experienced it so I'll be open to any and all suggestions.

·
Registered
929 Posts
many peeps claim loss of power and higher fuel consumption just before the dreaded head failure the 3.6 is famous for, hopefully not.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
many peeps claim loss of power and higher fuel consumption just before the dreaded head failure the 3.6 is famous for, hopefully not.
Oh gosh not that again!!! Now that you mention it, my first Jeep went kaput with 43 miles on it which was the first time the Wrangler got the 3.6 back in late 2011. This is my 2nd Jeep and she has been going strong. It did lose power but this doesn't feel like that. It just feels like its being held back. Like I'm pulling a parachute.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing is the Jeep was fine going to the movies. Sat there for 2 1/2hrs or so and when we were leaving is when it felt weird.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
can you point me to any of these people? i feel like 13mpg is a sign that something's amiss...and that's when I barely touch the gas and shift at 2k rpm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've experienced the same feeling. I have an 08 standard with 40k on it. It happened to me a few days last week, when it was 100 out with 95 humidity. I chalked it up to the heat, and sitting in traffic. Once I got home, let her cool, I took it out. I drove like normal in my small, no traffic, cooler air hilltown, and it felt fine.
I did go on the highway to run errands so I was really hauling, and its felt fine. I thought maybe it was a clogged plug or something of that sort that worked itself out... gotta research that head problem now.

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
I've experienced the same feeling. I have an 08 standard with 40k on it. It happened to me a few days last week, when it was 100 out with 95 humidity. I chalked it up to the heat, and sitting in traffic. Once I got home, let her cool, I took it out. I drove like normal in my small, no traffic, cooler air hilltown, and it felt fine.
I did go on the highway to run errands so I was really hauling, and its felt fine. I thought maybe it was a clogged plug or something of that sort that worked itself out... gotta research that head problem now.
Bad gas/any pinging? The knock sensor will cut power to protect the engine

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mine feels like that too on the highway. I've chalked it up to it being a "brick" being pushed through the air at 70MPH.

I also think these motors need to breathe more so I'm looking into an intake and exhaust to open it up a little. The intakes on the market concern me as I don't want to run an "open element" air filter for fear of hydro-locking the motor doing a water crossing and nothing in the "snorkel" market appeals to me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Bad gas/any pinging? The knock sensor will cut power to protect the engine

Negative. No bad gas (I've always bought, and friends/family buy from same location) and no "ping or knock". The ONLY thing I could say that is a knock... was what my old vehcile did. The valves make a little noise.

·
Super Moderator
53,782 Posts
Negative. No bad gas (I've always bought, and friends/family buy from same location) and no "ping or knock". The ONLY thing I could say that is a knock... was what my old vehcile did. The valves make a little noise.
The first 6 months of driving my 07 it would slug out at times. Always in the summer when hot. With the 93 octane tune hasn't done it since :confused:

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't been able to drive it yet because my wife had it all day yesterday. She did say that it felt normal driving home last night though. I only use 87 gas too. Well that's what the manual says to use. I didn't hear/feel any knocking or pinging either so I really don't know what it could be. Doesn't make sense taking it to the dealer if I can't replicate it. I'll monitor it for the next few days to see if it happens again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might change the fuel filter. With all the ethanol in gas it attracts the water out of the air. Symptoms would be like you describe. Be a cheap fix or fuel pumps can act like that before they go out totally. A good shop could test fuel pressure for you.

·
Registered
495 Posts
You might change the fuel filter. With all the ethanol in gas it attracts the water out of the air. Symptoms would be like you describe. Be a cheap fix or fuel pumps can act like that before they go out totally. A good shop could test fuel pressure for you.
Fuel filters are a "non-serviceable" item on these JKs. It's part of the fuel pump module, so it's not exactly a "cheap fix" for these things.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My wife is driving her doing errands today and all is well so far. Temperature is about 80 today and sunny. It's driving me nuts that I can't figure out what it was. It happened over a 2 day period and simply vanished. I just hope it doesn't reappear at the most inopportune time like on my way to Rausch Creek again on the 11th.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts