Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI Guys,

I'm rebuilding an SM 465 (the one with the cast-iron top cover). I got the cover off and the bearings and shafts and all that. Ready to put back together.

Maybe I'm too careful but I don't want to break something unnecessarily. I can't get the damned shifter off. There's definitely some rust in there. I've read a bunch of blogs/sites that tell you the correct method (push down on the round cover that surrounds the shifter base, then 1/4 turn and it supposedly pops right out). Can't get it to budge in ANY direction.

I'm ready to break out the persuader. Any thoughts before I whack it?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Try soaking it for a few days with PB blaster or Kroil or something similar. I have had to have help with taking a few apart, 1 person to push down with an opened set of channel locks, and the other tap the cone with a hammer and chisel. Once you get it to move, it will come out with ease, its just getting the rust to let go in the first place. After you get it out, sand it down smooth and give it a good coat of nevr-sieze.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I have it soaking (in Kroil) and we'll give it a shot tomorrow.
Tom (wherewasi)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts