Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 95 rio grade with the 2.5i and I'm wanting to start preparing a sm420 granny low transmission to swap out the ax5 has anyone else done this? What kind of results should I expect? Any ballpark estimates for rebuilding the sm420? If you know anything about this swap pass it on to me. I been reading up on it on Novak.

Thanks,

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They say on Novak a ax15 won't work and I never get in 5th gear anyway but they say the bell housing off a 2.8 blazer will bolt the sm420 to the AMC 150

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
They say on Novak a ax15 won't work and I never get in 5th gear anyway but they say the bell housing off a 2.8 blazer will bolt the sm420 to the AMC 150
You can bolt an AX-15 to a 2.5L. You need to do some research, we bolted on up to his 2.5L using a dodge bell housing. Im not sure on the rest of the parts as I just helped him with the tranny install. BTW your NP231 will not bolt to an AX-15 so you would need a NP231 from an AX-15

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what it was. But it said the sm420 would bolt right up to my transfer case. And also kinda like the low ratios in the 420

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well would it matter what the ax 15 came out off and what about the cross member? Would it need to be modified?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea I know I appreciate that I'm leanin toward the ax15 after seein the price of the adapter I'd need

·
Registered
29 Posts
dark, I have been looking for a 2.5 dakoto AX15 bellhousing for the external slave cylinder. Do you have one available?

·
Registered
12,000 Posts
Actually I've got the wrong bellhousing for the 2.5l, the two I have are for a dodge 3.9l v6, realized it wasn't the right one for the swap a few days ago but since the op hasn't replied I didn't say anything. If I do come across one I'll pm you though

1 - 19 of 19 Posts