Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Later this year I'm going to be putting a small block Chevy in my 91. What all did you guys do for differentials, fans, and did you have to do any cutting? I was wanting to run a 8.8 rear, and put a ax-15 behind the engine. It's currently a 4cyl now.

Attachments

·
Registered
848 Posts
Mine is on the road but remains a work in process.
I used a Novak adapter between the GM bell housing and an NV3550 transmission from a 2002 Wrangler matted to my original NP231 (with a replacement input shaft).
I still have the D35 in the rear but have an 8.8 to swap in going forward.
New aluminum radiator with a home made sheet metal shroud and electric fan.
You need to cut the original engine mounts off the frame and install new. I chose Novak but there are others out there.
Custom made exhaust using rams horn exhaust manifolds.
I used the temperature and oil pressure senders from my 4 cyl with the std. gauges. I did need a tach convertor to adapt the SBC distributor tach signal to the Jeep tach.
It is not a small job and there are a lot of threads to provide information depending on what your ultimate goals are.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, I'm wanting to SOA swap it and run 35s. I want it done right, time Is no problem.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Is cutting required? Yes. At a minimum you will need to cut off the stock motor mounts. It then depends on your fabrication skills and what you want to do. I don't like buying stuff so I made my own motor and transmission mounts. Most guys get away with using the stock tranny mount. It is all about where you locate the motor mounts. I also went with a Champion Radiator with electric fan to allow me to move the engine further forward.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Mine is on the road but remains a work in process.
I used a Novak adapter between the GM bell housing and an NV3550 transmission from a 2002 Wrangler matted to my original NP231 (with a replacement input shaft).
I still have the D35 in the rear but have an 8.8 to swap in going forward.
New aluminum radiator with a home made sheet metal shroud and electric fan.
You need to cut the original engine mounts off the frame and install new. I chose Novak but there are others out there.
Custom made exhaust using rams horn exhaust manifolds.
I used the temperature and oil pressure senders from my 4 cyl with the std. gauges. I did need a tach convertor to adapt the SBC distributor tach signal to the Jeep tach.
It is not a small job and there are a lot of threads to provide information depending on what your ultimate goals are.
Why the rams horn? My manifold's flanges are at the back of the manifold/engine. The rams horn flange is in the center of the manifold/block. Are my manifolds unusable? Thanks.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Rams horn are suppose to flow better than stock and about the same as headers. I originally tried block hugger headers but they were too tight to the block, starter, engine mounts, etc.

How close to the back of the engine are they? It gets crowded as you approach the firewall. Someone else may have more experience with those manifolds that could provide a better answer.

·
Registered
890 Posts
They exit near the tranny. I'll post pics in my build thread, probably later today. The 350 is in the back of my truck right now.
Thanks.
Back to topic.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Stetson blog huggers worked for me. Also, Novak has good products and free advise. Check out their website, lots of specific info for your swap.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a sb 350 out of a 92 Silverado. I am using the entire drivetrain ie: 350, 700r4, and 208 transfer case, All going to stock jeep axles. Mine was a 4 cyl 5spd. All I had to cut was the motor mounts. I used an Advance Adapters Part Number: 713087 motor mount that bolts right to the frame in existing holes. Runs all the way across to each side of the frame. Bc the 700r4 is longer than the jeep 5spd I had to fab a mount for the transmission. I just added onto the factory jeep crossmember bc it had the skid plate on it as well. It leaves plenty of room for the 350 both front and rear in the engine bay. I used a eagle racing 2 row radiator off of eBay for a 350 YJ swap. That bolted right up to factory radiator mounts on each side. I had to shorten my rear driveshaft about 2". I kept all the Chevy accessories even the clutch fan. Also used stock Chevy exhaust manifolds. I just cut 6" off the factory Chevy y pipe and took it to an exhaust shop and had them make me a custom y pipe. You will have to have a pressure line made for the power steering pump. I also have a 4" lift and 33x12.5's and Aussie locker. Never once had a problem with the reared. I know a lot of ppl say the stock rearends won't hold. I've been driving/ wheeling mine for over 2 years now with no problems with the axles. I also used a painless wiring harness.

Tons of room for the 350. And still looks clean.

Custom pressure line for the pump to gearbox. Cost me $66 to have it made plus $18 for the line that amd had them cut 4" off each end one for the pump side and one for the gearbox side. I used a stock 350 Chevy line. The fitting for the gearbox is the same for the Chevy and the jeep gearbox.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts