Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to make the Original Air Cleaner Housing work on a Weber carb? I have a 87 YJ 4.2I6 and i dont like the open air concept that came with my weber, i was wanting to use the original air cleaner some how......any ideas and help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love K&N filters, but im not worried about the "filter" itself, if u look at the weber carb setup. It has no protection for the filter. Yes the KN filter stops dust but no filter stops water. Thats why i wanna use the original filter housing that the jeep was born with, i can plug all the holes perm, except the main entrance in which i can ether run the line behind the grill or snorkle it.

Attachments

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have the weber myself. I just didnt know what you were looking for. I have heard of people making a box for theirs. I think it was in a snorkel thread if you want to search.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I hear ya on the open filter element, not a fan of it on my TBI conversion.

I think it is doable to use the factory air filter housing, but it's gonna require some ingenuity and work. This is what I'm thinking:

1.) If you don't have the housing mount bracket for the valve cover you'll need to find or make one. 2.) It doesn't look like the bolt holes on the valve cover for the filter housing bracket are actually tapped so you'll need to drill and tap them. 3.) You'll need to find a way to adapt the carb neck opening on the factory housing. You can get adapters that allow for use of round neck filter elements/intake plenums on the rectangular necked Weber carbs, so one of those should do the trick there.

Lastly, 4.) the Carter BBD neck is smaller than the typical 5-1/8" carburetor neck, so you'll need to find a means to adapt the neck size up on the filter housing to match that on the rectangular->round carb adapter. Either use an adapter ring, or modify the filter housing neck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts