Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 with 5 speed tranny. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th there is a bit of grinding. gets worse the faster I am going or at higher rpms. Seems to grind a little more when downshifting. a buddy said it could be synchronisers. any other thoughts. this is my 1st jeep and I don't have much experience working on trans stuff

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a 95 with 5 speed tranny. When I shift from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th there is a bit of grinding. gets worse the faster I am going or at higher rpms. Seems to grind a little more when downshifting. a buddy said it could be synchronisers. any other thoughts. this is my 1st jeep and I don't have much experience working on trans stuff
Syncros sounds right. That's shitty, but happens.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I've been having a heyday with 2nd to 3rd and 4th to 3rd. Just the one synchro is going bad, so for now I put in Valvoline Synchromesh and started Double Clutching. Don't have a problem now.

I'll pull it apart this Summer and rebuild it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Had minor grinding on mine with third, changed fluid and was worse. I put synthetic in, after rebuilding trans and looking at the syncros. I don't think I did myself any favors using synthetic my opinion is its too slippery. With worn synchros I wonder if Dino oil would help with grinding. Don't know just throwing it out there. Like I said I rebuilt mine and am using synthetic with no problems.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Don't discount that your clutch might be on it's way out. Grinding gears is usually a sign of a bad clutch. When I had that issue with my 89 it was the clutch. I use synthetic 75w90 gear oil (safe for yellow metals) in my AX15 and it shifts smooth. You can also use syn. 10w30 motor oil.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like syncros. I would think if it was the clutch you would have the same problem shifting in all gears.

·
Registered
212 Posts
X2 for pennzoil synchromesh. I had the same problem as you, it went away with the synchromesh.

I rebuilt the tranny the next year and the synchronizers actually looked really good. *shrugs* shoulda just left it at pennzoil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts