Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While putting up my soft top last night, a bungie cord hook that I couldn't see in the dusk, popped a very small hole in the top. It is bigger than a pin, but smaller than a pencil eraser. Is there a factory patch kit? Is there a black or charcoal liquid patch, like a silicone caulking that hardens on top? I have a 700 mile trip home from the vacation that I'm on and I don't want to rely on duct tape to keep the rain out. Any thoughts would be appreciated. SaharaMan

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've done a couple things, depends on how nice you want it to look and the location of the hole. For a quick, down and dirty fix I've smoothed a spot of quick dry epoxy over a smaller hole. For a nicer looking fix I've taken canvas, cut *two* of the size of the patch that I want, coat the backs with spray on adhesive, and put a patch on each side of the hole. After the patches have seated a bit I shot them with scotch guard. The durability of these depends on how much bending/flexing that part of the top is subject to.

Good luck no matter what you end up doing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the recommendations so far. My Sahara is in very pristine shape, so I want a minimally invasive and low-key repair. I had a fabric guy quote me a $75 price to come out to me and do a patch. Same guy that the local Jeep/Chrysler dealer uses in-house. I'm open to more suggestions though. He can't come out til early next week.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I ripped a hole on my top last year. I went to cabbalas in their camping section and got some tent repair tape. They have two kinds, vinyl and fabric. I went with the fabric one. It's clear, blends nicely but can still see it. Holding strong and cost bait $5.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts