Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bone stock 1999 TJ 4.0 automatic, including the stock 15x7 wheels with tires that are approximately 27" in diameter. I drive on the road 99.9% of the time and I'm never going to do any off-roading (I've driven through grass and whatnot). There is a 0% chance of me disconnecting the sways to go off-road, and I'm not concerned about articulation or anything like that. I'm just concerned with how it looks and rides.

That being said, it looks ridiculous on such small tires. I'm planning on getting some Cragar Soft 8s (15x8, 4" BS) and 32" or 33" tires, and I need a lift to accommodate the new wheels and tires.

Here are my concerns:

1) Ride quality
2) Price
3) Minimal (if possible) modifications aside from springs and shocks (i.e. motor mount lifts, dropping the transfer case, etc.)

I've done some reading and have seen several recommend the Zone 4.5" (3" + 1" BL) but I'd like to avoid the body lift if possible.

Can I get away with a 2" or 3" lift without rubbing? If so, what are your recommendations (brand, etc.)?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Headed down the exact same path. Thinking of putting a kit together around a set of Bilstein5100's. Possibly just a set of springs to go with them??? You will probably be looking at 33's, not many choices in 32. If 33's be prepared for a very noticeable drop in power.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
you can get spacers that go on your springs.... (cheap)
I was going to do that... but, since my jeep was running original stock springs and I figured they were sagging anyway.... I went with a 2" spring lift.... (you will need need longer shocks for springs.... maybe even spacers...

I'm running 30x9.50x15 on 15x8.... When it's time for new tires... it'll either be 31s or 32s... don't want to overly tax my 4 banger anymore than I already am.... Not looking to do a gear change.

Ride Quality.... Since I'm guessing you are on the original springs too.... I really don't think it's going to matter what you put on... The ride is going to be rougher... even if you put on a new set of OEM springs...

I would steer clear of body lifts... I don't like them!
Some do, Many don't.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
Personally, if my Jeep was mostly road driven, never disconnected, and the only off road it saw were logging trails etc., I would go for a 2" suspension lift and 31 x 10.50 tires.

IMHO, that would be the perfect set up, and look good as well. It would also keep closer to stock handling, and be easy to get in and out of.

My current Jeep has 5" of total lift, 35's and although I love it for wheeling in rocks, it can be a pain for an old guy to lift his leg high enough to get in while daily driving.....You know you're old when after getting a haircut, it looks like there's a dead opossum laying on the floor...:action-smiley:

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I agree with Waterdog, however if you are set on 32's or 33's and want to avoid a Body Lift, I would get the Zone 3" spring kit and a Zone 1" Motor Mount Lift...and not install the T/C drop from the kit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, if my Jeep was mostly road driven, never disconnected, and the only off road it saw were logging trails etc., I would go for a 2" suspension lift and 31 x 10.50 tires.

IMHO, that would be the perfect set up, and look good as well. It would also keep closer to stock handling, and be easy to get in and out of.

My current Jeep has 5" of total lift, 35's and although I love it for wheeling in rocks, it can be a pain for an old guy to lift his leg high enough to get in while daily driving.....You know you're old when after getting a haircut, it looks like there's a dead opossum laying on the floor...:action-smiley:
As much as I'd like to get 31x10.5s for financial reasons, I just don't care for how small they are/look. I definitely would like to run 33x12.5x15 after reviewing some pictures on the forum last night and this morning.

·
Mostly old school..!
12,149 Posts
As much as I'd like to get 31x10.5s for financial reasons, I just don't care for how small they are/look. I definitely would like to run 33x12.5x15 after reviewing some pictures on the forum last night and this morning.
If you want 33's, I suggest you do the Zone 4.25 combo lift.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yeah the 4.25" combo is great. I promise you that when you park next to another TJ that only has a 2"-3" lift....you will be glad to have the 4.25". Trust me! (Just don't park next to TJ's with 35's and a 5" lift.) :)

:beerdrinking:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I did the jk coils and springs swap. Got them all for 60. People always trying to get rid of them for bUT want a ton. I see who wants 60 first and buy them. Make sure the ending numbers are 60 and 16. It'll give you 2 inches of lift no other mods needed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Looks are up to you. But just for some input

The taller the lift, the smaller the tires will look. On a 4" lift, 31 and 32" tires will look smaller than on same Jeep with a 2" lift.

Also, taller lift equals more components/$$ needed. With 4" of lift you will need to address the driveline angle with transfercase drop or other means. You will need new shocks, maybe longer brake lines, maybe not. Other compoenents like sway bar links, track bars, etc...

A 2" lift on a Jeep that will not be taken off road will not need anymore than the lifted springs. Two inch of lift is minimal.

32x10.50 will fit on 2" of lift and will fill the wheel wells. Not going off road, you will not need to worry about rubbing. Even if you do go off road rubing will be minimal. The 10.50 being narrower than the 12.50.

My Jeep has 4" lift and running 32x10.50-15. The tires obviously look smaller next to Jeeps with 35" tires. But don't look bad to me. And I'm not really too concerned with that anyway. A little, but not main priority for me.
I get full flex with no rub at all and no need to change or trim fenders. So I keep the stock look.
Later I may move up to 33", but will still keep a narrower tire than 12.50. I believe they have 33x11.50.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 2" suspension spacer lift and 32" tires. I looks good. Not too high not too low. I could probably run 33s but wouldn't go bigger than that. I also cut the flares and it makes it look like it has a slightly taller lift.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I have a bone stock 1999 TJ 4.0 automatic, including the stock 15x7 wheels with tires that are approximately 27" in diameter. I drive on the road 99.9% of the time and I'm never going to do any off-roading (I've driven through grass and whatnot). There is a 0% chance of me disconnecting the sways to go off-road, and I'm not concerned about articulation or anything like that. I'm just concerned with how it looks and rides.

That being said, it looks ridiculous on such small tires. I'm planning on getting some Cragar Soft 8s (15x8, 4" BS) and 32" or 33" tires, and I need a lift to accommodate the new wheels and tires.

Here are my concerns:

1) Ride quality
2) Price
3) Minimal (if possible) modifications aside from springs and shocks (i.e. motor mount lifts, dropping the transfer case, etc.)

I've done some reading and have seen several recommend the Zone 4.5" (3" + 1" BL) but I'd like to avoid the body lift if possible.

Can I get away with a 2" or 3" lift without rubbing? If so, what are your recommendations (brand, etc.)?
Go with a good spacer lift with new shocks and 32x11.50x15 tires on stock wheels, it's a great look and shouldn't break the budget.
31's look okay but the 11.50 width makes it look tougher IMHO.. few of them running around here in Mich. like that..

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
I'm leaning towards the Rough Country 2.75" with the springs and shocks since I have to replace my shocks anyway and I'm sure the springs are shot. My concern is I have 31" tires now and really don't want to replace them until I have to. The PO put them on right before I bought it. Will this look rediculous?

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
I have a bone stock 1999 TJ 4.0 automatic. There is a 0% chance of me disconnecting the sways to go off-road. I'm just concerned with how it looks and rides.

Here are my concerns:

1) Ride quality
2) Price

1)Ride Quality... Zone, RE, OME are quality lifts but for your use...
2)any budget lift will work and leave you with the original springs.
3)4"Backspace will require new flares.

Stick with 32s. Stick with skinny tires. Stick with factory rims.
A 2" Budget Lift with shocks etc might cost $200.00

Heres my YJ on 33x9.50x15s, 2"lift, factory rims.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did the jk coils and springs swap. Got them all for 60. People always trying to get rid of them for bUT want a ton. I see who wants 60 first and buy them. Make sure the ending numbers are 60 and 16. It'll give you 2 inches of lift no other mods needed.
Can you clarify? You bought coils and springs off a stock JK and installed them on your TJ for a 2 inch lift for 60 dollars? And this was a direct bolt on?

·
Retired Moderator
100,612 Posts
Can you clarify? You bought coils and springs off a stock JK and installed them on your TJ for a 2 inch lift for 60 dollars? And this was a direct bolt on?
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts