Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a big deal, but I'm glad I did it! I found a set of OEM side steps on craigslist for pretty cheap, and after reading the many, many posts on how to install them, I went searching for some hardware.

I found the 3/8" nutserts on ebay for about $10. I figured that since the holes in the frame are 1/2", I should be fine. Wrong. The 3/8" nutsets are threaded for a 3/8" bolt - that does not mean the outside diameter of the nutsert is 3/8"! I ended up boring out the frame holes just a bit to fit the nutsert.

I found this writeup on another forum and made the installation "tool" as described Nutsert for Transfer Case Removal and Install - JeepForum.com. It took some elbow grease but the nutserts installed pretty smoothly (actually, I had to re-do two of them because they didn't install quite as smoothly!).

After the nutserts were all in, I found out that not all of the holes on the steps were the same size. Two of the holes on each step were too small for a 3/8" nut to fit through. So, after grabbing the drill and adjusting the size of those holes, I simply bolted the steps in place.

The 4-wheeling I use the jeep for doesn't really include the rock climbing that some of you guys do, so I'm not worried about breaking them off. Hey, I'm happy with them!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I took mine off :) all they did was collect mud.Actually they did but Im going to make or buy some sliders someday.:)

·
Banned
1,006 Posts
Things other than rock climbing will rip those off in short order.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
That mod you can have you high beams on AND you stock fog lights on at the same time takes about 30 seconds and it costs 0 dollars, I did it to mine I can light up the trails like day

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I have my OEM steps but I want to take them off and put in some stirrups so my wife and kids can get in then the step can be put inside the jeep just inside the door.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Things other than rock climbing will rip those off in short order.

Well, I never had a problem with them on my '04 so I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Thanks for your concern.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK, so my Dad had those on his Jeep and I'd NEVER admit this to him, they did make life easier for getting in and out. The wife LOVED them...

But I don't have them on my Jeep. Anything that irritates the wife ya know. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
OK, so my Dad had those on his Jeep and I'd NEVER admit this to him, they did make life easier for getting in and out. The wife LOVED them...

dump the wife. Enjoy jeeping.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Looks good. Mine came with them but I wound up busting each one while rock crawling at Tellico. (miss that place)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

:rofl:Shame on you!:bottom:

I know many of my older family members can't get in without that step.

What part of E. Oregon are you in? I'm near Ontario.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
You can always put a grab strap in the bar above the door to help getting in.

I just saw a Rubicon the other day with automatic swing down steps. They come down when the door opens and up and away when the door closes. I have only seen that on Escalades.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think this looks cool (I think this is the 3rd time I have posted it somewhere on this forum lol)

Then you could just either leave it hanging or stuff it between the seat and the exterior in that little gap there...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts