Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 4.0L Jeep Wrangler sport with auto. tranny. It has 96,000 mi. on it and has been incredibly taken care of. I have notice, however, when I put the transmission in drive headed uphill it slips for just a second before it engages. It only does it when I put it in drive from a stopped position headed uphill, no other time.

Is this normal (I hope) or or is it a sign of bad things to come. I understand that with this type of mileage certain things start wearing out. Other than that it runs (operates) perfectly.

I thank you for any advice that you can share with me.

Only been a Jeep owner for a month but what a great community of people.

·
Registered
955 Posts
This thread is over 4 years old. However, the issue of the transmission slipping while driving up hill, may be an issue of the fluid level in the pan. The stock pan does not hold much fluid, and with dramatic angles, it's possible for the transmission to start sucking air instead of fluid, causing the tranny to slip. This can be a result of not enough fluid, or can happen with the correct amount of fluid on steep angles. If your fluid is low, simply top it off. If not, consider installing a deep transmission pan that'll hold more fluid, and won't stave the transmission at steep angles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts