Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone in this forum still drive on the tires recommended by jeep? I need new tires and went to Discount Tires today and asked about these three sizes. The guy all but refused to sell me anything that small because he said that it would not "look good". So I am just curious...does anyone still use the smaller tires? I would love to hear the pros and cons (especially since I have a 4 banger with big tires right now.) Please don't be shy, and I promise not to tell anyone if you want this kept quiet.

Thanks,
Willis

·
Registered
72 Posts
I ran 235/75s on my '95 4 banger for years. It ran fine on the highway and I always felt I had a decent amount of power for whatever. Not sure what you're running now or if you have a lift, but 235/75s to me look decent, ride good, and arent super expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i am currently running 245/70/15

i havent bought tires it is what came on the jeep when I got it.

I think it looks good I dont theyre too small.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i run 235/75/15 kumho venture mt's. theyre really quiet, wear well, and theyre awesome on the trail and mud. they were 90 somethin a piece...plus the cragar black wheels...i think it looks fine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Currently I have 31x10.5 mud tires with negative inverted wheels. They look great, but I think that they really impact the performance. In addition they are tracking about 5 inches wider than the car was when it came from the factory (per the owners manual). This jeep originally came with P205/75R15 tires.

·
Registered
27 Posts
With my 4 banger I run 235/75's, not really intersted in losing what little power I have just to look cool. I'm not a heavy wheeler just forest roads pretty much so I don't need bigger tires. I think the 235's fill the wheel wells good enough, anything smaller may look funny to some. But, it's your Jeep, throw on what you want. The only reason a tire shop would give you grief is because they want you to spend more money, just go somewhere else.

Al

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ursandal:

I was thinking about going with the 235's. Based on your experience do they keep the performance of the four bangers close to what they were originally? I had enjoyed their performance when I had test driven others. But mine feels like it is...well, dragging around five huge tires and wheels. Big mo is working against it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
;)
ursandal:

I was thinking about going with the 235's. Based on your experience do they keep the performance of the four bangers close to what they were originally? I had enjoyed their performance when I had test driven others. But mine feels like it is...well, dragging around five huge tires and wheels. Big mo is working against it.

With the 4 banger I think that's just the nature of the beast. When I bought mine it had wore out 225's on it with stock wheels. I couldn't tell the difference with new steel rims and 235's to be honest.

If I need to get some where fast I take my truck, if I want to enjoy the ride I take the Jeep. I live in the country and have only occasionally hit the interstate with it and when I do I can maintain 65 easily in 5th even up slight grades. Probably irritate folks on the interstate doing the speed limit but they never send me x-mas cards anyway so to heck with them!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ursandal:

It sounds like we are on the same wavelength. I live by the beach and absolutely love driving the jeep as much as possible. I have another car for the road trips on the freeway. But there are a lot of hills around here and I do get some "glares" as I try to get up those puppies. Not anticipating any Christmas cards either, just want to avoid an unforeseeable "driveby".

As soon as I save some bucks, I plan to ditch the big inverted offset wheels and tires and go to standard wheels and 235's lie you have.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run 215X75X15 on my 95 YJ 2.5 and it does just fine. Had some wider tires on it but found it will go through alot more snow with the narrow tires. They bite into it rather than float on top of it. Works for me anyway. I know the big fat tires look cool and all. This my daily driver , and I get right at 20mpg with it. Has a preformance chip and cold air intake system,and flow through exhaust.,Also a " Tornado Intake ".

·
Registered
529 Posts
Still driving on the 225/75 that came with the jeep
But I hope to upgrade to the 235's............soon....
just have to wait for some $$$$ to fall from the skies...;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts