Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was backing out of a parking space and failed to see a two foot wide concrete pole directly behind me. It might have been the combination of the state of the rear soft window and my mother interogating me from the passinger's seat. But I was only going about 2, and the spare tire was the only thing that touched the pole. Now my tailgate has a 1/2 inch bend with it's apex(?) right where the spare tire bumper is attached. The gate barely closes. I could live with it, but it's a constant reminder of how stupid I am. Anyone else fix one of these?

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
ctjalsma1 said:
I was backing out of a parking space and failed to see a two foot wide concrete pole directly behind me. It might have been the combination of the state of the rear soft window and my mother interogating me from the passinger's seat. But I was only going about 2, and the spare tire was the only thing that touched the pole. Now my tailgate has a 1/2 inch bend with it's apex(?) right where the spare tire bumper is attached. The gate barely closes. I could live with it, but it's a constant reminder of how stupid I am. Anyone else fix one of these?

Thanks,

Chris
I haven't bent one back but.. if you take it off I figure you could bend it back with a floor jack

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't bent one back but.. if you take it off I figure you could bend it back with a floor jack
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Take of the tailgate, rig some kind of frame and then jack it.

BTW, did you see the Top Gear segment on The Robin?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Remove the tire, close the gate, get inside and kick it. You will have to replace the gate eventually because you will never get it perfectly straight.

·
Registered
892 Posts
A girl bumped in to me while I was waiting at the red light. it was pretty hard my Jeep moved a foot even my foot was on the brake. nothing happened to my Jeep really. glad I wasnt driving my RX8.

·
Registered
739 Posts

Thanks,

Chris
Should be able to get that out with a puller maybe. Is the top edge bent?
Maybe you Mother will fix it for you as a Christmas present. :D
You can check with an autobody shop to see what's involved and get an estimate (no cost to get that).
Likely can find some one with their own shop that they work at in the evenings after their day job, that can do it for half the price.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You can pick up a replacement tailgate off eBay for $100 usually and then have it painted to match. All you have to do is swap over your existing lock cylinder. Very easy to do.

My old tailgate was bowed in a bit--mostly on the outside skin--so I picked up one from eBay, bedlined both sides, and tossed it on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts