Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished installing my new intake manifold, and my new exhaust manifold. I know it's rare to have a cracked intake, but the bottom that brackets to the same parts that the gasket slide onto broke off on both sides.

I had everything labeled, was able to get my serpentine belt back on (biggest PITA) and was surprised that I had everything back together with no extra, and no missing pieces.

So when I connected my battery again (moment of truth) and started it up, it smoked for about two minutes, and my belt squealed a bit (not after my third or so start.) I let it get to temp, and all my levels seem fine. It appears to have stopped smoking, and is (maybe it's just mental) tremendously quieter. It's dark outside, but I drove it around the block, and everything seems to be holding up fine. My question is... is the smoking normal? I used brake cleaner to scrub the surface for the gasket, a lot of break cleaner. I also scraped out a lot of gunk from my used, but intact intake manifold. I presume this was all just burning off, but wanted to make sure everything was O.K. I also used Copper Spray A Gasket.

I'll probably start it up again tomorrow in the daylight, and see how it goes, I suspect fine. In total, the job took me about 18 hours, but this is my first time every diving in under the engine, I also work slow. I imagine I could do it again now I know what I'm doing in 4 hours. I learned a tremendous amount about my Jeep, and am 2x as confident about working on it myself, and performing other mods and fixes. I want to thank all of you along the way that answered any of my questions, and just provided a little help or support!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ya it's normal it should just be burning off all the oil and cleaner that was on the new parts. Mine did the same thing after I installed my exhaust header and didn't do it for very long at all.

·
Doesn't know much
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's great to hear. I was really nervous at first 1. This is my first time doing anything with the engine. 2. One of the two write ups I was using to walk my through this, the writer had used high temp. spray paint to "protect" his exhaust. Although It looked good, doubt it made a huge difference. He said that the paint burned for a couple of minutes when he started his engine again, but I think like you said and I suspected, just the oil and cleaners burning off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts