Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the dunes today, I was still getting a weird smell while doing donuts??? 2-high, rear locker engaged, and the ESC module doohicky under the console disconnected, and auto trans locked in 1st.

It didn't quite smell like brakes? Tranny and motor temps were fine? Any ideas???

·
Super Moderator
22,049 Posts
perhaps the coolant was spilling from the reservoir.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would not worry about it too much. I know the smell to which you refer and I have also had that happen during off road heavy hill climbing (or in the sand dunes). Probably just things getting a little hotter than they are used to and sweating off some manf. oil. Not sure the year of your Jeep, but if shes a few years old or newer it's probably just breaking in.

Just keep an eye on trans temp and OBD, if you have anything pop up cool out on the donuts and take her in to get looked at. Also if you do this a lot, try to get in and get it inspected a couple times a year (my dealer offers great oil change prices and inspection included). It's the only reason I go to the dealer to change oil.

Good luck.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It wasn't too hot, but I did notice some drip residue on the front diff, which is right below the coolant reservoir, when I got home. Maybe I only smelled it with donuts, cause otherwise I wasn't retracing my steps?!?

It's a 2016 with 22,000 miles...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my coolant was just below the minimum line. Hopefully that was it. These new coolants certainly don't smell like the old stuff...

·
Registered
615 Posts
care to share a link to your electrical nannie cut-out mods?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts