Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went on a 30 mile fire road run in my 2013 Rubi four door and about half way through I started to smell fuel on and off. I had the windows open but would still smell it sometimes. The heater would come on once and a while and it would be stronger then. The road was ruff but I have just got the Jeep and this is the first real trip. So no way to tell how it was before. It had about 3/4 tank. I search the internet but almost nothing about this problem. I hear that the Gasket could be the problem on the fuel tank. Any help would be most appreciated!

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I had a funny response all lined up when I read your thread title but then you opened your post with the word "fuel" and ruined it. The word beans came to mind. :lmao:

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
@1lukeduke I am struggling with the same smell. I can't for the life of me figure it out. I have narrowed it down to a few places.... Bad Evap Canister, Bad Fill Neck, Issue with fuel tank.

I have a 2010 JKU Sahara (I am second owner)

I have checked every line coming from tank, no visible cracks or other deformities.
Fill neck, no visible cracks or other deformities.
Evap Canister (I really do not know how to test this)

I do not get ANY error codes and just for testing purposes to see if I could get a code I purposely just laid cap on fill port, sure enough about 2 miles down the road I got gas cap code. Pulled over, shut down, adjusted cap properly, fired back up and code gone. I did put my code reader on it and it showed in history.

Now the really weird part. I ONLY get this fuel smell if I fill up completely and it will last until I get around half a tank. If I only fill about 3/4 I get zero gas smell at all.

I know the easy route is "only fill 3/4 tank" but it doesn't resolve the problem.

Drives me nuts and hope some of this can help you trouble shoot yours. If you do resolve, please update here and let us know.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I am handy and even mechanical but by no means a mechanic. I owned a 1997 GMC Savanna high cube van (box truck) that I used for work. After only owning for about 2 years, I was coming back from vacation in Maine during a rain storm and the truck started to lose power. I pulled over about 15 miles from home and let the truck sit for a while. I started it up after about 30 minutes and was able to nurse it home albeit at around 40 mph with the pedal to the floor.

After having the truck towed back to the dealer, they informed me that they needed to replace the injectors and the tab was around $1,500. From day one owning the truck, every time I filled the tank gas would spill all over the station lot much to the dismay of station folks and I would smell fuel for days.

While discussing this with one Shell station owner (who was mechanical) he advised me that this was a closed vacuum system and should not dump fuel after a fill up.

The no power situation occurred once again and back to the dealer we went. Again the injectors needed to be replaced but now it was out of warranty. I went out to look at the truck in the service bay and noticed that the gas tank had been dropped and was on the floor. There was a huge stain on top of the tank around where the fuel pump was installed and as a result the dirt on the tank top was cleaned away. I remember what the Shell station owner had told me about this being a closed vacuum system and asked to see the Service Manager.

Apparently from day one, the fuel pump tank gasket had never been installed correctly and when driving in a rain storm, water was sucked into the tank by the vacuum. Luckily, I took my case to the Area Manager and did not have to pay the second $1,500 charge for new injectors.

Sorry for the long story but wanted to illustrate my situation and a fuel smell that plagued one of my vehicles. As it turned out in my case, it was an indication of a much more serious situation.

Probably obvious to most here on the forum but I would have to think that your issue is either tank or fuel pump/carburetor related. The fact that it goes away when the tank drops to 3/4 full makes me think tank but as I said at the outset, I am not a mechanic.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@HEATHENJKU @JSRIII I have read that the gasket/oring on top of the tank goes bad. I think it is coming from the engine area because it smells during driving not just sitting still. Lots of driving this weekend on ruff roads. Could be anything. Smelled the cab and gas tank area this morning, nothing. Engine compartment tomorrow. Hard to troubleshoot before work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i have figured one thing out. The smell is only when my heater is on. When the a/c is on, no smell. Also my valve cover gasket is leaking. Maybe where the smell is coming from? Synthetic oil doesn’t smell like that though. The smell comes and goes so it is hard to track down. More to follow.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Well i have figured one thing out. The smell is only when my heater is on. When the a/c is on, no smell. Also my valve cover gasket is leaking. Maybe where the smell is coming from? Synthetic oil doesn’t smell like that though. The smell comes and goes so it is hard to track down. More to follow.
Are you sure it is fuel that you are smelling? If you only smell it when the heater is running could it be the heater core that you are smelling? Antifreeze is a sweet somewhat sickening smell and maybe that's what you are smelling.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well it was the fuel line that runs down the center of the motor. It had a crack on the elbow. Nothing rubbing just bad part. Crazy they make such junk! Oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts