Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use my 06 TJ as a daily driver. Nothing more than 50 miles in a day. I have noticed that sometimes when driving up hill there is a slight, but distinct smell of gas. I have looked under the hood, and don't see any leaks. This does cause for concern. I know vague information. But, definitely not something that I want to play around with.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Probably a cracked vent line, rubber drys out.
X2.

I smelled gasoline after fill ups and for several miles afterwards. Dropped the tank and found that the hoses for both roll over valves were shot and leaking all over.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Do Not use Ethanol in your Vehicles! Ethanol does not play well with synthetic seals, O-rings, gaskets, or hoses. It literally destroys them. If Ethanol has been used in your Jeep expect these things to start leaking.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Do Not use Ethanol in your Vehicles! Ethanol does not play well with synthetic seals, O-rings, gaskets, or hoses. It literally destroys them. If Ethanol has been used in your Jeep expect these things to start leaking.
Glad to hear as i use ethanol free gas in my TJ.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Is it definitely a gasoline smell or that odor kind of like rotten eggs? That might mean your
catalytic converter is going out on you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not after fill ups. Not rotten egg smell either. Just a faint smell when going up hill mostly. I think that I am just going to take it to a mechanic.

Though when filling it up all the way, the gas nozzle does not automatically shut off. So the few times that I did fill it up all of the way, careful not to over flow.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Not after fill ups. Not rotten egg smell either. Just a faint smell when going up hill mostly. I think that I am just going to take it to a mechanic.

Though when filling it up all the way, the gas nozzle does not automatically shut off. So the few times that I did fill it up all of the way, careful not to over flow.
If the mechanic ends up dropping your gas tank to find the leak, you could have him spend a few minutes fixing your inlet poppet valve so that it stops spewing gas when you fill it up. If he doesn't have to drop the tank, then you can just add the GM flapper valve to the filler hose to stop it from spewing gas.

See this link for the full fix that requires dropping the tank and reworking the poppet valve:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4DXHsacHB4&t=5s

You can search this forum for information on the GM flapper valve fix. But, this is not related to your gas smell problem, just might be a good time to kill two birds with one stone.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
That's easier saI'd than doing in states where it's mandated, like Az.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts