Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had experience with Smittybilt 76800 XRC Front Bumper and the Smittybilt 76653 XRC Rear Bumper with the Smittybilt 76654 XRC Rear Swing Away? I'm looking to replace my stock bumpers. Just looking for any real world experience with them good or bad.

Thank!

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
All bad, they're cheap, imported from China, and thin where they shouldn't be. Check out www.thedirtworx.com for some fairly inexpensive good quality strong USA made bumpers.

The first photo shows a front Smittybilt bumper after a mild collision, look at the thin tubing. The second photo shows a rear Smittybilt bumper after its spare tire holder fell off from where it was only surface mounted to the bumper. I wouldn't buy a Smittybilt for any reason.

Both of these are Smittybilt.

Attachments

·
Registered
901 Posts
Dirtworx rear bumpers are awesome! Super strong with bulletproof receiver hitch built in. I added some special frame to bumper mounting plates to enable increased towing strength. Plus it’s made in the USA! It comes raw and must be painted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
SRC Gen 2 76724 front and SRC Gen 2 76614 rear Smitties are what are on my 2016. Well made and have tefelon sliders on them. Well made and not at all like the cheap Smitties.

I also have these same bumpers on my ‘16 JKUR. I also have the Smittybilt tailgate and it’s held up well so far. No issues.

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
My XRC carrier finally got taken off. It would shake and rattle, and would have to be beat open with a rubber mallet. The handle allows water to seep in and rust. The bumper is next to go. The finish has held up really well, and it did include frame tie ins but it is a large bumper and gets in the way when wheeling.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
The following is strictly my personal opinion... I know the entire Smittybilt history from when they had a superb reputation when old man Smitty actually owned and ran the company. His products were 100% manufactured in the U.S. and, again, Smittybilt had a great reputation then. Then Smitty died. The whole thing stopped, his family was not interested in continuing on and the company's sales started falling off without Smitty at the helm. They shut the doors. It wasn't long before a group of investors bought the name "Smittybilt". Nothing more than the name. They didn't buy any of the manufacturing facilities, designs, nothing. Just the name.... because the name Smittybilt was well known and it was worth a lot of $$$ due to that respect and reputation.

But all the investors did was go to China and start importing parts for Jeeps and slapped the Smittybilt name on them. They weren't Smittybilt designs, they were just what they could get the Chinese to build for them. The name alone was enough to bring them instant credibility and sales, buyers had no idea it was a 100% different company who just had the rights to the name. I'm old enough to remember when Smittybilt meant a good product. Those days are over. A few good reviews here and there are easy to find, new buyers are excited about what they buy and post glowing reviews. They are the exception, not the rule.

The overwhelming comments on Smittybilt are negative. A few good reviews here and there are nothing when compared to the vast majority of comments all over the various Jeep forums. Personally? I wouldn't TOUCH anything made by the current owners of the Smittybilt name.

By the way, it's very common for investors to start a brand-new company and buy the rights to use an old well-established name of a company no longer in business. Bell & Howell of late-night infomercial fame is another. Bell & Howell used to make great movie cameras & projectors. Then they went out of business when it all went video. Now you see the Bell & Howell name slapped on all kinds of junk like cheap computers. Buying the names of old defunct companies is a great way to start your sales off strongly. People think they're buying from a long-established company, some eventually catch on but not all. Old man Smitty must be rolling over in his grave.

Of course all of this is just in my personal opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Has anybody had experience with Smittybilt 76800 XRC Front Bumper and the Smittybilt 76653 XRC Rear Bumper with the Smittybilt 76654 XRC Rear Swing Away? I'm looking to replace my stock bumpers. Just looking for any real world experience with them good or bad.

Thank!
I had have these bumpers for about 5 years and have been very happy with them but I am not a hardcore rock crawler so take this for what it is worth. Here is the good and the bad:

Good

3/16 inch steel (some others are 5/32)
Frame ties
Durable powder coat
No squeaks or rattles
Adjustable tire carrier (up/down, in/out)
Double welded D-ring mounts, suitable for flat towing
Internally braced tire carrier pivot (not just surface welded)

Bad

Made in China
Tire carrier needs teflon slider (easily added)
Tire carrier may need to be shimmed to line up (2 shims included)
And finally, the ridicule you’ll get for admitting you have Smittybilt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'll put my not worth much but 2 cents opinion after owning 4 wranglers.Cash is King.You will certainly get CLOSER to what you think is required when you spend more than you wanted to.Examples-Smitty,Rugged,DV8,Barricade.All fine examples of lower to mid-grade equipment,and most are far better than stock,and under 650 bucks each end.If you want equipment actually designed for low impacts and abuse(Proven race/baja records)well your going to pay up for it..Poison Spider has offerings around $750,the age old/time tested ARB which comes in around 1K each end,and some newer offerings-but do your research.I chose Fab Fours Full-on Grumper but its extremely heavy at 175 lbs.(just for the front) Add a Winch then across the 200 lb. threshold.Plus more weight for tires and rims,and well you get the point.It's all relative to the build for what YOU want from your rig.Look for offerings above 3/8 or 5/16th" if you want true crash protection.I went coilovers to avoid some weight restrictions,and that's a big project still in the making.Happy hunting!

·
Retired Moderator
100,623 Posts
I'll put my not worth much but 2 cents opinion after owning 4 wranglers.Cash is King.You will certainly get CLOSER to what you think is required when you spend more than you wanted to.Examples-Smitty,Rugged,DV8,Barricade.All fine examples of lower to mid-grade equipment,and most are far better than stock,and under 650 bucks each end.If you want equipment actually designed for low impacts and abuse(Proven race/baja records)well your going to pay up for it..Poison Spider has offerings around $750,the age old/time tested ARB which comes in around 1K each end,and some newer offerings-but do your research.I chose Fab Fours Full-on Grumper but its extremely heavy at 175 lbs.(just for the front) Add a Winch then across the 200 lb. threshold.Plus more weight for tires and rims,and well you get the point.It's all relative to the build for what YOU want from your rig.Look for offerings above 3/8 or 5/16th" if you want true crash protection.I went coilovers to avoid some weight restrictions,and that's a big project still in the making.Happy hunting!
Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Pulled a front/rear set off my YJ. Poor quality product that rattled and squeaked. Sold the set on Craigslist for a few hundred dollars and put the money towards an aluminum Genright front bumper and Dirtworx tire carrier. Also have a Dirtworx tire carrier on my TJ. Quality products manufactured domestically.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts

Thank!
The front bumper is a common copied bumper and I am not sure which is the chicken or the egg here for whom made it first. There are a few folks out here (Idaho) running them and they have held up well for the money.

As for the rear bumper, I think it was Smittybilts first then copied to other vendors. The coating is what will keep it long term durable so the different vendors may treat them differently in their specs.

They are both from China so you will see many colored comments as a result, but YOUR wallet and vision is the ultimate king.

People get pretty lit over products. Often the Gucci version will work just as well as the Levis version. I have some Smittybilt gear and it has been solid and rust free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Who makes a bumper that is 3/8 or even 5/16 thick? ARB bumpers seem to be very heavy so maybe, but they don’t quote metal thickness. Dirtworx, Smittybilt and many others are 3/16.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I should add that I suspect that the steel used in Dirtworx and other US made bumpers is higher quality than the Chinese made products.

·
Registered
454 Posts
All bad, they're cheap, imported from China, and thin where they shouldn't be. Check out www.thedirtworx.com for some fairly inexpensive good quality strong USA made bumpers.

The first photo shows a front Smittybilt bumper after a mild collision, look at the thin tubing. The second photo shows a rear Smittybilt bumper after its spare tire holder fell off from where it was only surface mounted to the bumper. I wouldn't buy a Smittybilt for any reason.

Both of these are Smittybilt.
mild collision LOL that dude got slammed
yea for the price I hope one wouldn't think these could take a beating I mean come on they are basically pleasing asthic wise.. I bought them, run them for years, just fine, but I don't expect them to hold up to a collision, or a "mild collision" as you state

Reactions: tj slipper

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have the Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers on our '04 TJ and love them. Both appear solidly built. The rear has the swing out tire carrier. It holds everything tight, and no rattles after 4 years of mild off-roading. We took a rock to the rear bumper, coming down on it hard going through a boulder field. The rock took a bit of paint off, but the bumper held without any damage.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts