Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I have a trailer hitch that color matched as close as I could to my deep cherry jku. I do not tow anything with my Jeep that is reserved for my F150. so this is just on it for a safety feature.
This trailer hitch really saved my jeep a few months ago when I was hit in the rear.
I have under the back in my tow strap bag I have a smittybilt Receiver Tow Hook. https://www.quadratec.com/products/13107_0004.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6JQyvOGP8sZ9uDR2KDOQLyYrFysEBAbaE40bjW5f2NUaAlaK8P8HAQ
It takes up a lot of room and has only been used a few times.

I am now thinking about ordering a smittybilt beaver step
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92002_0100_07.htm
and use that in place of the trailer hitch, from what I understand I can use it as a recovery point as well, then I can get rid of the receiver tow hook from under the seat.

anyone have the beaver step? will it protect my jeep from a rear end hit like the hitch did?
how do you hook the tow strap to the step? one showed that you can run the strap loop under and then wrap around one of the wings, can you use a D-ring on the step to secure the strap as well?
is it worth getting?

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I guess you could use a D-Ring, but it would just take more time, be one more possible failure point, and probably scratch up the step.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Right now I have a trailer hitch that color matched as close as I could to my deep cherry jku. I do not tow anything with my Jeep that is reserved for my F150. so this is just on it for a safety feature.
This trailer hitch really saved my jeep a few months ago when I was hit in the rear.
I have under the back in my tow strap bag I have a smittybilt Receiver Tow Hook. https://www.quadratec.com/products/13107_0004.htm?gclid=Cj0KEQjwv_fKBRCG8a3ao-OQuZ8BEiQAvpHp6JQyvOGP8sZ9uDR2KDOQLyYrFysEBAbaE40bjW5f2NUaAlaK8P8HAQ
It takes up a lot of room and has only been used a few times.

I am now thinking about ordering a smittybilt beaver step
https://www.quadratec.com/products/92002_0100_07.htm
and use that in place of the trailer hitch, from what I understand I can use it as a recovery point as well, then I can get rid of the receiver tow hook from under the seat.

anyone have the beaver step? will it protect my jeep from a rear end hit like the hitch did?
how do you hook the tow strap to the step? one showed that you can run the strap loop under and then wrap around one of the wings, can you use a D-ring on the step to secure the strap as well?
is it worth getting?

I have one, and I like it:

There is no need for a D-ring. As for protecting against collision, it really depends on what hits you, its bumper height and weight/speed. Low speed collision from the average passenger car? Lord help 'em if they hit the beaver step.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Like everything else on the interwebs, you have to take online reviews with a grain of salt, but:

5.0 out of 5 stars Smittybilt Beaver Step saved my rear...pun intended!, July 14, 2015
By Michael M.
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Smittybilt 27046B Beaver Step for 2-Inch Hitch (Automotive)

"I bought this product a few weeks ago...as a deterrent to California drivers who love to love tap your vehicle while they parallel park. Just returned to my vehicle to find a middle-aged woman pacing back and forth in front of her car awaiting my return. Upon unlocking my vehicle, she asked if the car I unlocked was, in fact, my car...and when I said "yes it is", she exploded, demanding my insurance information and taking pictures of me with her iPhone. After I deciphered her babbling and looked at her precious Lexus, her bumper and grille were so indented and mangled that her car wouldn't start. Turns out that she was trying to pull front-on into the parallel parking spot behind me and hit the gas instead of the brakes. She creamed my beaver hitch and really did a number on her ride. Good news...not a scratch on my car...or the beaver hitch for that matter. She was convinced that a device (like my Smittybilt Beaver Step) was utterly illegal in California, and because of that, I would be partially responsible for the damage to her Lexus. One of the policeman actually laughed at her statement since she was the one that drove into the back of my car, reminded her that she was 100% liable for the damages to her vehicle, and asked if I would like a copy of the police report to file a claim to her insurance company. I obviously didn't need to, because these Smittybilt steps saved my rear...pun intended. I recommend these things to anyone...whether you're using it for an actual step...or a deterrent. They're super rugged...the picture doesn't do it justice. Awesome product!"

Tried to post a link, but it redirects to the item.

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
I was rear ended hard one time while in my 2000 Ram 2500. I had an equalizing hitch in the receiver (I used to call it a serious hunk of iron). The car that hit me broke the factory 7 slot trailer light connector (plugged into a wiring harness, replacement cost $12.50) and bent the bracket (local body shop straightened and painted with a rattle can. They did not charge me for they said it would cost more to generate the invoice and receipt than it was worth).

The car that hit me lost bumper, grill and two headlights.

I had not seen the beaver step before, but I am very interested.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am thinking I am going to go ahead and order one.
It looks like it may provide the rear end protection I want with useful recovery point and give me a step to reach the top of my Jeep hard top to wash and dry it

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
I am thinking I am going to go ahead and order one.
It looks like it may provide the rear end protection I want with useful recovery point and give me a step to reach the top of my Jeep hard top to wash and dry it
Yep. As goofy as the concept behind the Beaver Step is. We do sell them and they do serve as a good rear end spear, for the guy hitting you LOL.

Handy as heck for recovery though! I had one guy actually want to put an edge on the beaver for some Zombie attack vehicle.

HAHA

Jeff
[email protected]

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As often as I bust my knee on the trailer hitch alone. I sure as hell would not put a edge on the beaver step. I don't want to lay open my leg.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Trailer hitches have saved many vehicles from minor rear eand damage. I've always thought these would do in same in addition to their intended purposes!

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I added one a few weeks ago and love it. I have found it useful as a rear-end deterrant, as well as a step so far. Makes climbing in and out of the cargo area of the jeep easy. It doesn't stick out past the spare. Highly recommend it.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have one. Rattles a bunch, but is pretty solid. Not so sure about the paint holding up on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have one. Rattles a bunch, but is pretty solid. Not so sure about the paint holding up on it..
If the rattle is that bad it can be taken care of real easy
1) cut down some innertubes and put then under the stem when it is in the receiver.

2) use jb well and build up the shank of the step. Then sand it for good fit.

3) can run weld beads along each corner of the shank then grind down until you have a snug fit then paint it.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have one. Rattles a bunch, but is pretty solid. Not so sure about the paint holding up on it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wrapped mine in heavy duty fabric tape before inserting into the receiver. No rattle, no movement.

The step is powder coated, and I suspect the paint on the hitch would give first.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Many drivers "park by feel" where I live, and I thought the step was cheap insurance compared to refinishing a Hard Rock bumper.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
As often as I bust my knee on the trailer hitch alone. I sure as hell would not put a edge on the beaver step. I don't want to lay open my leg.
You beat me to it haha

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
I have two Jeeps that usually sit with an insert in them. I don't recall ever cracking my shin on one because of the spare tire. Now on my pickups in the past, I finally got in the habit of never walking within two feet of the rear bumper.

Try this insert

Attachments

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My Jeep is my toy and daily driver. So I am in the back a lot that is when I normally hit my legs.have hand full of groceries bags and turn and the hitch is there. I dont hit the one on my truck much as I don't use it as much.
The insert you showed is cool and could be lot cooler if you could put red led in it's eyes. The reason I am looking at the beaver step is for a quick recovery point and a lite rear end protection.

·
Registered
317 Posts

I have one, and I like it:

There is no need for a D-ring. As for protecting against collision, it really depends on what hits you, its bumper height and weight/speed. Low speed collision from the average passenger car? Lord help 'em if they hit the beaver step.
Cool, I ordered one this morning.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I've had a beaver tail on my '14 for over three years now. I'll give you both a pro and a con on it. The pro is it's a great ledge to rest your spare on when either removing or mounting it. The con is if you off road, it'll be a point of contact coming off things. I've hit mine a number of times and it's a little rough on the underside now.

All in all I like it. The protection it offers from love taps and the added strap attachment point is all to the good.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I've had a beaver tail on my '14 for over three years now. I'll give you both a pro and a con on it. The pro is it's a great ledge to rest your spare on when either removing or mounting it. The con is if you off road, it'll be a point of contact coming off things. I've hit mine a number of times and it's a little rough on the underside now.

All in all I like it. The protection it offers from love taps and the added strap attachment point is all to the good.
Thankfully it is something you can pull the hitch pin on and remove pretty quickly should it infringe on departure angle off road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts