Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked a little closer and found that my main problem is not the 1/2", but the clearance on top of the pumpkin. There is only room for 2.5" travel between the bracket and the pumpkin. With my 2" bump stops (MOPAR 2" Lift) it looks like I have slightly more than 2.5" travel available, so I will probably hit. Guess 2.5" bump stops are needed for this skid when used with Dana 44s

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little update. Phototrek suggested putting the driverside bracket in the aft hole in the mount instead of the forward. This puts the bracket over the axle instead of the pumpkin. Looks like it gives sufficient space when having 2" bump stop.

Big Warning. Don't use the aft hole with no bump stop. You will probably have axle/bracket contact.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hmmm I have this same skid plate, and just got the Mopar 2" lift installed on my Rubi. Guess I am going to have to go out this weekend and take a look now.

Hard to tell from your pic if mine is that way or not. It been so long since I installed the skid plate.

Ken~

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I have this same skid plate, and just got the Mopar 2" lift installed on my Rubi. Guess I am going to have to go out this weekend and take a look now.

Hard to tell from your pic if mine is that way or not. It been so long since I installed the skid plate.

Ken~
Hi Ken,

You can't really tell from the pictures I uploaded. I initially had the driver side bracket in the forward frame mount like the instructions depicts. This put the bracket on top of the aft section of the Dana 44. If you have it mounted like this I would be surprised if you haven't had any contact between the Dana 44 and the bracket unless your bracket is different. Look right on top of the diff where the bracket passes above.
I have now moved the bracket to the rear hole which puts the bracket over the axle and gives more clearance. Maybe you have had it here all along, but I would guess that would put it close to the axle if not lifted and fully compressed.
Would love to hear what you find.
I have included pictures of how it looks now.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
So finally getting under the Jeep to see what this random clunk noise I have is. Ever since the lift, and now 35's were installed if I hit a bump just right it would clunk in the front.

Turns out I was hitting the axle housing!!! The skid plate has no damage, but the axle housing has some chunks take out now :( I do not recall any noise before the lift though, and have taken it off-road plenty of times. Thinking the shop that did the lift didn't adjust the skid plate correctly.

I went and re-adjusted the skid plate to move as far over to the passenger side as possible, and so far so good. I need to go back after work today and add some tape to the skid plate so I can see if its still hitting. I went over some bumps after the adjustment, and no noise thus far. Next I need to find a spot where I can flex more and see if anything hits.

If I still hit after flexing then the skid plate is coming off and buying rockhard. Just have to make sure it works with the rest of the skid plates I have.

Thanks,

Ken~

Attachments

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So finally getting under the Jeep to see what this random clunk noise I have is. Ever since the lift, and now 35's were installed if I hit a bump just right it would clunk in the front.

Turns out I was hitting the axle housing!!! The skid plate has no damage, but the axle housing has some chunks take out now
I do not recall any noise before the lift though, and have taken it off-road plenty of times. Thinking the shop that did the lift didn't adjust the skid plate correctly.

I went and re-adjusted the skid plate to move as far over to the passenger side as possible, and so far so good. I need to go back after work today and add some tape to the skid plate so I can see if its still hitting. I went over some bumps after the adjustment, and no noise thus far. Next I need to find a spot where I can flex more and see if anything hits.

If I still hit after flexing then the skid plate is coming off and buying rockhard. Just have to make sure it works with the rest of the skid plates I have.

Thanks,

Ken~
Is your driver side bracket installed in the forward or rear motor mount?

·
Registered
252 Posts
On the passenger side its on the rear section of the motor mount. Can't see how anyone could possible mount it in the front section. I don't see how there would be enough room to get the bolt in.

On the Drivers side I really can't remember, but think its also on the rear. Will double check with I put some tape on to see if it still scuffs.

Curious to know how RockHard has their skid plate mounts setup.

Ken~

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wouldn't it be nice if Smittybilt just fixed their crappy product and provided a bracket for the skid that works?
I honestly don't think I will ever buy another Smittybilt product.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So added tape around the area last night and will watch over the next couple days to see if it rubs again.

Also the drivers side mount is on the front hole closest to the front of Jeep. May look at moving that to the rear hole instead.

The passenger side mount is on the rear hole closest to the rear of the Jeep.

If I continue to hit the next step before I trash the thing is to make a new hole either on the skid plate passenger side farther back, or put a new hole on the mount bracket for the passenger side higher up. This would would move the whole skid plate over to the passenger side and up.

I need to look at Rockhard to see how their skid plate mounts and if it covers the same area. I bought the whole skid plate kit from smittybilt and love the skid plates, but the mounting needs to be redone :(

AZDane, did you ever get your skid plate to never hit? Also how close is the corner of the skitplate to the axle housing now?

Ken~

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So added tape around the area last night and will watch over the next couple days to see if it rubs again.

Also the drivers side mount is on the front hole closest to the front of Jeep. May look at moving that to the rear hole instead.

The passenger side mount is on the rear hole closest to the rear of the Jeep.

If I continue to hit the next step before I trash the thing is to make a new hole either on the skid plate passenger side farther back, or put a new hole on the mount bracket for the passenger side higher up. This would would move the whole skid plate over to the passenger side and up.

I need to look at Rockhard to see how their skid plate mounts and if it covers the same area. I bought the whole skid plate kit from smittybilt and love the skid plates, but the mounting needs to be redone

AZDane, did you ever get your skid plate to never hit? Also how close is the corner of the skitplate to the axle housing now?

Ken~
I moved my driver side bracket to the rear hole in the motor mount which moves the bracket over the driveshaft instead of the pumpkin.
Much more clearance that way, but if it ever makes contact it will be bad

I have talked to Smittybilt and they insist the bracket has to go in the front hole in the motor mount, but I didn't like how little clearance it gave me.
There may be other consequences to putting it in the rear bracket hole.
It does bring the skid closer to the oil pan, but I still think there is enough room between the two.
Maybe there are other implications, like how the entire setup handles during impact or how it distributes impact forces to the motormount in that scenario.

I do have the passenger side bracket in the forward hole like the ask in the instructions.

I have my bolts on the top inside the motormount and the nut on the bottom. If I remember correctly that was the only way to make it fit in the rear hole.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So I went to adjust the skid plate again last night, and that did not go well. If I try and move the driver side to the rear hole is makes it much worse as it moves the whole skid plate closer to the diff where it was hitting. If I move it to the front hole it seems to work better, but still not that far from the side of the diff. The biggest issue is the drivers side bracket. That bracket needs to be about 1" longer and would solve all the issues.

I don't think I will have an issue on top of the diff, but on the side is what is getting hit and taking chunks out. I may end up taking the skid out and making 2 new holes for the mounts to go through. This would allow me to move the skid plate more to the passenger side and not be close to the diff.

I have a friend coming over later tonight to help hold/shim the skid plate over while I bolt it all up.

Overall I like the skid plates I bought as it was the whole set, but should not have this many issues with it :(

I looked at Rockhard skids and they mount the same way, but wonder if their brackets are better designed.

Ken~

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I went to adjust the skid plate again last night, and that did not go well. If I try and move the driver side to the rear hole is makes it much worse as it moves the whole skid plate closer to the diff where it was hitting. If I move it to the front hole it seems to work better, but still not that far from the side of the diff. The biggest issue is the drivers side bracket. That bracket needs to be about 1" longer and would solve all the issues.

I don't think I will have an issue on top of the diff, but on the side is what is getting hit and taking chunks out. I may end up taking the skid out and making 2 new holes for the mounts to go through. This would allow me to move the skid plate more to the passenger side and not be close to the diff.

I have a friend coming over later tonight to help hold/shim the skid plate over while I bolt it all up.

Overall I like the skid plates I bought as it was the whole set, but should not have this many issues with it

I looked at Rockhard skids and they mount the same way, but wonder if their brackets are better designed.

Ken~
It's surprising to me that you would have this problem with the driver side bracket mounted in the rear hole on the motormount.
Only thing I can think of is that it must be because your passenger side bracket is mounted in the aft hole.
Did you mention you didn't have room to mount it in the forward hole? There was plenty of space for me to do it in the forward hole. If I remember correctly the aft hole had even less space.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mine is mounted per the directions, looks like .5-.75" clearance with no issues of contact.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts