Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still working on the Wrangler SE and getting closer to the end, close enough to think about some accessories. I've pretty well decided on the Security Floor Console and Vaulted Glove Box, but I want to get them keyed alike...and I am having no luck contacting Smittybilt to ask if this is possible. I get an error message when I fill out the "contact us" form, tried it on 3 different browsers and 2 internet connections and no go. And today I sat on hold for the better part of an hour trying to get them on the phone, which is a lot longer than I'll usually wait for somebody. Also was wanting to ask if they sell replacement windows for their soft tops, the one on my TJ is Smittybilt and is in decent shape except for the rear window, specifically the zipper. The top side of the zipper looks to be save-able so I'd prefer not to buy a whole new top just for that. I've had enough unexpected expenses with this little project already, LOL.

Any and all advice about this is welcome.

·
No Whining now....
257 Posts
For what it's worth, I didn't get the key to my under seat lock box (neither did the previous owner). I drilled it out and replaced it with a mailbox lock from hardware store. Such a fix might be cheaper in the long run.

No whining now...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For what it's worth, I didn't get the key to my under seat lock box (neither did the previous owner). I drilled it out and replaced it with a mailbox lock from hardware store. Such a fix might be cheaper in the long run.

No whining now...
I have thought about doing that. I happen to have a couple of those high-security locks salvaged from a condemned gun cabinet and they are keyed alike...just don't know if they'd fit, they extend about 1-1/2" from the flange. If I don't succeed in getting an answer I'll probably go that route or something similar.

The lengths a person will go just to keep from carrying and fumbling with yet another damn key (sigh).

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
stop by a local locksmith and he'll tell yah in 2s if they can be keyed alike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
do the local locksmith thing. Smittybuilt stuff is made in bulk and in china and imported here, they cannot and do not customize. Not to say its not good stuff but its cookie cutter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
do the local locksmith thing. Smittybuilt stuff is made in bulk and in china and imported here, they cannot and do not customize. Not to say its not good stuff but its cookie cutter.
OK well that answers my question. No point in asking for what ain't to be had.

I appreciate the replies.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided to go with the Tuffy Series II console instead. Good bit more $$$ but the more I read about the Smittybilt the worse it looked. Probably just leave the glove box as-is (empty & unlocked) for now, if I end up needing more secure storage space I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts