Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone on here bought one or seen one in use? I'm looking for storage devices for upfront and this seems to be one of the few I've found that customizable. Only 2 reviews I've found on it 1 raved about it the other said don't waste my money. Hoping some of my fellow Jeepers can give me they're opinion.

5666031 - Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Overhead Console for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I'm going with this setup for the rear. Seems like it's the most customizable one out there.
JK Gear MOLLE Panels for Rear Storage w Fold Down Tailgate Package Deal | eBay

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just know that neither one is made out of the same material or made to the same specs as the military grade issued stuff. If you keep the load out pretty light, you shouldn't have too many problems. Put too much weight in/on it, things will start failing on you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just know that neither one is made out of the same material or made to the same specs as the military grade issued stuff. If you keep the load out pretty light, you shouldn't have too many problems. Put too much weight in/on it, things will start failing on you.
Do you have one or a better recommendation?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also considering these options as well, but price difference is quite abit. Haven't found anyone offering the overhead option which IMO is a perfect spot to use this type of storage.

Jeep JK

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the smittybilt rear and seat covers with no issues thus far. No ripping or tearing. Earlier products had some issues as another thread stated but they were corrected. Not sure the overhead works on the 2012 models.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Overhead only works on soft top models not compatible with hardtop. Not sure why, but enough reason I'm going to pass on it. I'm still undecided on rear gate setup.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edit to my above post. Spoke to Smittybilt and as long as Freedom Panels are in place the Overhead Molle can be used with hardtop. 1yr warranty against fading or materials.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I installed the over head unit on my 2010 over a year ago and it works great. I got a lot of stuff installed on it as well. Most people have drilled a hole on the freedom panel latches in order to install/ tie a string to pull the latch close. I just add two 1" flat metal brackets to the units mounting brackets, giving me plenty of room for my hand to reach the latches. I then had to trim the plastic trim cover where the bracket attaches in order to reinstall the trim cover. It was an easy tweak to be able to use a great product without any hassle when I have my hard top on. Good luck and let me just add that everyone... I mean everyone.. that see's the over head unit loves it, especially the guys at the dealer..
Augi

·
Registered
61 Posts
I installed the over head unit on my 2010 over a year ago and it works great. I got a lot of stuff installed on it as well. Most people have drilled a hole on the freedom panel latches in order to install/ tie a string to pull the latch close. I just add two 1" flat metal brackets to the units mounting brackets, giving me plenty of room for my hand to reach the latches. I then had to trim the plastic trim cover where the bracket attaches in order to reinstall the trim cover. It was an easy tweak to be able to use a great product without any hassle when I have my hard top on. Good luck and let me just add that everyone... I mean everyone.. that see's the over head unit loves it, especially the guys at the dealer..
Augi
Can you post some pics? Particularly the install mods, but final look as well? Thanks!! :popcorn:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Augi
Good to hear. I ordered mine today. 2nd that on your pics of your mods

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'll snap some pics tomorrow if it's not raining, ha. If not Monday for sure..
Thanks! I'm not so crazy about options that include "tie a string to it" so if there is an alternate way to make this work...the JK could def use some more "place for my stuff." (which '80s kid knows that reference!?)

·
Registered
43 Posts
I third the offer of pictures. I've been contemplating the overhead console since I decided to buy my first jeep and found a lack of storage areas.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have one, I like it easy instal is cheap, I got it in black though.

I 6'7 still haven't knock my head on it yet despite my brother's concerns

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jsjk said:
I have one, I like it easy instal is cheap, I got it in black though.

I 6'7 still haven't knock my head on it yet despite my brother's concerns
That is good to know. What kind of top do you have? I have the freedom top and i dont want to interfere with removal or placement.

·
Registered
332 Posts
quixoticbiker said:
Thanks for the info. I suppose I should probably read a bit closer.
I have a soft top but when I got it the said it should work with hard tops as well, now I'm worried I wanted to buy a hard top.

Either way I like the console. Especially when compared to its completion, only way you could go better is a custom made console.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jsjk said:
I have a soft top but when I got it the said it should work with hard tops as well, now I'm worried I wanted to buy a hard top.

Either way I like the console. Especially when compared to its completion, only way you could go better is a custom made console.
Any pics of it installed? I ordered one for mine just haven't installed it yet

·
Registered
332 Posts
Irishbaja said:
Any pics of it installed? I ordered one for mine just haven't installed it yet
I can get new pic I just modified it took off the canvas and just bolted everything to it I can get pics

Plus that way you can se how it installs

1 - 20 of 30 Posts