Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experiences with this product? Looking for an inexpensive but decent spare tire carrier/bumper for my 95 Rio Grande. Not sure that Smittybilt has a great reputation.

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ive had the SRC rear bumper with tire carrier for 2 years now. No problems and has held up to quite a bit of abuse! Has a grease fitting to keep the carrier swinging freely.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have the smittybuilt SRC tube with carrier. I had to modify mine for 8 hole wheel. I also modified it to carry my hi-lift jack under the tire and I am currently adding jerry gas can mounts. I will end up adding some bracing because of the weight. No rattles, pretty decent. Go for it.:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Anyone have any experiences with this product? Looking for an inexpensive but decent spare tire carrier/bumper for my 95 Rio Grande. Not sure that Smittybilt has a great reputation.
Hope this helps with your smittybuilt worries although I have not bought the rear bumper and tire carrier I have bought the front and the rock sliders and I'm impressed with the quality and value so when I do buy the rear it will be smittybuilt.:thumb:

·
Not so Newb?
59 Posts
I have the smittybuilt SRC tube with carrier. I had to modify mine for 8 hole wheel. I also modified it to carry my hi-lift jack under the tire and I am currently adding jerry gas can mounts. I will end up adding some bracing because of the weight. No rattles, pretty decent. Go for it.:thumb:
Looks good. What size tires are you running? Are you bracing due to the total weight (with cans and jack), or due to the weight of the tire?

I ask because I want a Jerry can setup with my 31" spare and don't want to worry about a weak carrier. If your tires are bigger than mine, and your running more gear than I will, then I'll get the Smitty tube w/carrier.

·
Registered
161 Posts
When I mounted the tire, I noticed some flex in the area where the bumper mounts to the jeep. The actual tire carrier has no flex in it. I am going to beef up the mounts and add some bracing from underneath back to the bumper. Most people wouldn't even notice it. I do. I am probably running the heaviest tire on the market. Not by choice really, I just stumbled into a great deal on tires. Maxxis 305 12.50x17. So back to your question, I am bracing because of the total weight on the bumper mounts and because I will pull a small trailer with this from time to time (ELK hunting). I am the guy that over builds and over engineers everything, but I am also the guy that rarely breaks anything in half. I have complete faith in the actual carrier, its how it mounts to the jeep (bumper/frame) that I am going to beef up. With a smaller tire set up, you will be fine. I would guess that my spare and wheel weighs 70-80 lbs easy. I will change em out later. Hope this helps

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think Smittybilt makes a great quality product for the everyday consumer. My Jeep is 1/2 daily driver and 1/2 off roader. I have the XRC10 winch SRC front and rear bumpers as well as the rock sliders and all have help up extremely well to my expectations. I will continue to buy Smittybilt products.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have the xrc Smittybilt rear buyer with the tire carrier and love it. But the little brace plate on the tire carrier cracked with only a 33 on it but went back to 4wheelparts and got a new one and hasn't cracked since.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Very happy with mine so far. Opens easily, shuts nicely and minimal rattling. It has a 35" Baja Claw on it now and it will take alot more weight. Considering adding a storage basket on top.

EDIT: the down side is that the tire sits up pretty high with the 35 anyways. makes the rear view mirror pretty useless. I cant see a small car that is tailgating me in the rearview. But thats what the other mirrors are for tho right? :thumb:

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
Very happy with mine so far. Opens easily, shuts nicely and minimal rattling. It has a 35" Baja Claw on it now and it will take alot more weight. Considering adding a storage basket on top.

EDIT: the down side is that the tire sits up pretty high with the 35 anyways. makes the rear view mirror pretty useless. I cant see a small car that is tailgating me in the rearview. But thats what the other mirrors are for tho right? :thumb:
It looks good but cant believe the price.Very reasonable.

Reactions: tj slipper

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Here is the Smitty classic with tire carrier with a 35x12.50 on my Yj. I like it so far! had a little rattel on the latch but threw a lil rubber seal in and it was fine. Very sturdy and wont flex when swung open.. can even hang on it while open with ought worrying about it. here is a pic

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you wanted to you can probably find a 4x4 shop that will make you a custom one for you. I just finished my tire carrier/bumper for my Yj

Thats before I mounted it on and mounted the hi-lift on. But a custom one, depending on who you use will either be the same amount or cheaper

·
Registered
886 Posts
I installed a Bestop Highrock. It mounts to the tailgate and the tub. Love it because it swings out with the tailgate.

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I installed a Bestop Highrock. It mounts to the tailgate and the tub. Love it because it swings out with the tailgate.
Any idea where bestop is made?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts