Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone confirm that the Smittybilt Side Armor JK's have the step plate on them? On their website they show 2 contradicting pictures

SRC Side Armor JK - Smittybilt

THe header pic of the red jeep shows the steps i want

The product pics below that don't seem to show the steps

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
They do have the steps. The second photo is from a low side angle, showing the structural aspect.

If still in doubt, it's called Smittybilt SRC Side Armor and is part #76634.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OP is correct, Smittybilt's website, and most retailer's websites (including the 4WD link above) show conflicting pics and/or descriptions. Seems like typical Smittybilt lack of attention to detail.

I bought the 76634 from truckcustomizers dot com ($268 delivered, by far the best price I found anywhere) a few weeks ago and even though the picture on their website is also wrong and shows a version without the steps, I took a chance and hoped they'd come with the steps - and sure enough they did.

If you want to be sure, I would just call any place you buy them from before you place the order, and make sure they will take them back no charge if they show up without the steps.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just use the part #. I used it with truckcustomizers, as well, and new I would get the right product, regardless of the photo on their site.

With my Rampage bumpers, Amazon had them listed as "gloss black". I wanted the powdercoated version. Used the part #'s...no problem.

·
Registered
94 Posts
BTW, it's not a big deal, but even the Smittybilt site doesn't have an accurate pic. The pic of the red JK with the steps on the rail shows rectangular steps with 4 holes, when they actually have a semicircular cutout at each end of the rectangle and 3 holes.

Probably the result of design revisions throughout the product life cycle (and their Chinese manufacturer cutting costs) - but is it really that difficult for a company to put an accurate picture of a product on their own website?

The attached pic is what mine look like.

BTW, if you haven't already, make sure you read a thread or two about the PITA installation of these - they almost always require some minor, but annoying, filing/dremeling/grinding (of the rails, not the Jeep) to make them fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the info. I really like the look of these ones. Hopefully they are not too tough to install. I will post some pics when I get them.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I really like the look of these ones. Hopefully they are not too tough to install. I will post some pics when I get them.
Handy to have a Dremel with a couple of conical metal-grinding bits, in case you need to wallow out a mounting hole or two. And a larger grinder, in case you need to trim a too-fat exterior weld.

Both of which I had to do to install mine.

But I regret nothing. :D

·
First Jeep: M38A1
368 Posts
Jigsaw with a medium metal-cutting blade removes material quicker. Smooth off with grinding bit. I installed a set of XRC rocker guards; same problems as these SRC guards. If I put a set on another Jeep, I'll hog out the large cutouts for the body mounts first, and then fine tune the slots for the body studs as needed.

·
Registered
704 Posts
:punk: That is one sweet ride! Quick question. When you installed the new rocker guards, did you have to remove the original Rubicon rails or do they install over them?
Thanks. They replace the stock rails. But I can't imagine any purpose for the stock rails once you have the big boys on there.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks. They replace the stock rails. But I can't imagine any purpose for the stock rails once you have the big boys on there.
Very true, thanks. I just ordered a pair last night and was curious what I'll be up to during the install. Hopefully not too much, but a lot of reviews state that it isn't a simple "bolt on" project as the manufacturer claims.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Very true, thanks. I just ordered a pair last night and was curious what I'll be up to during the install. Hopefully not too much, but a lot of reviews state that it isn't a simple "bolt on" project as the manufacturer claims.
I was having my lift installed by someone 500-times more competent at wrenching than me, so I just had them do it. They did say it was a bit more tricky than they expected, but I don't recall why.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed the same rockets a few weeks ago and what I thought would be a simple install took a half day. I had to re-drill...due to holes being off. Make sure you have someone to help hold or it could be frustrating.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
They DO have steps. However, make SURE you have a dremel ready, with a bunch of those circular sanding bits ready to go. THEY DO NOT BOLT UP CORRECTLY ON A 2012 JK. You will need to grind out one of the holes into an oval to make them fit. Not hard, and not a big job, but just be prepared to do it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Lithium Lotus said:
The mounts for the rails sometimes tend to be "off" due to the manufacturers jig not being set correctly.
I just got mine in today and I can honestly saythe install is a pain in the @$$!! I spent 2 hours trying to fit the drivers side on...so much for "bolt on"

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just my 2cents,
They bolted right onto my 2012 2 door w/ no problem at all 15 min. Total.
Look great and very sturdy, gotta take off that yellow emblem right away though.
What were they thinking?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts