Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally looking to get a winch after multiple situations where I had to improvise with a high lift jack. I have the Smittybilt SRC stinger bumper on the front of my 2005 Jeep LJ. When I purchased this bumper I saw they also sold winch plates specifically for this bumper. I’m a little uneasy to go out and buy a winch, wire it up and get stuck, only to realize I’m gonna massacre my bumper upon using the winch. I’m not looking to climb any vertical walls with this winch/bumper set up, just be able to get back on all 4 if I’m high centered or out of a mud hole. I am concerned with the strength of the mounting location.

Does anyone have any experience with this bumper and a winch (8000-10,000lbs)?

·
Registered
129 Posts
MY 2005 LJ with Smitty SRC bumper and Smitty winch..

spooky aint it?

And yeah, the heavy stuff mounts to the frame.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Back when I had my smittybilt stinger, I never had any issues with my winch/winch plate set up. As mentioned above it bolts on top using the existing bumper holes. I have a warn winch plate with a warn xd9000i and it fit fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
MY 2005 LJ with Smitty SRC bumper and Smitty winch..

spooky aint it?

And yeah, the heavy stuff mounts to the frame.

that really looks like an Olympic 4x4 AT slider bumper.

If you do the smitty stinger, go with the raised winch plate. It bolts on with 6 bolts to the top of the frame rails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
that really looks like an Olympic 4x4 AT slider bumper.

If you do the smitty stinger, go with the raised winch plate. It bolts on with 6 bolts to the top of the frame rails.
EXCEPT for the side nerf bars it is all Smitty including the cage for carrying extra weight. I tend to throw boats/canoes up on top and a fiberglass roof just doesn't have a carrying capacity I need. And I wanted the headlight /hood protection because I live in deer country and they can be most uncooperative at the most inconsiderate times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts