Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows it going?

I am going to add on an aftermarket roll cage to my 08 2dr, and I was wondering which cage to pull the trigger on.

First of all, I am a bit confused by the difference between a "sport cage" and a "roll cage", so if someone can clear the air on this, I would appreciate it.

Not withstanding the question above, the two cages I found that I am interested in are the Smittybilt SRC kit and the OR Fab sport bar kit. Both of them seem like they will increase the integrity of the roll cage exponentially, but I am wondering which one you guys think is safer/better built. If you have experience with either of these kits, please let me know.

Smittybilt: Smittybilt Part 76901 - SRC Roll Cage Kit

OR-FAB: OR-FAB Part 82300 - Sport Cage

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions for a JK roll cage, please let me know.

Thanks y'all for your help.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
Smittybuilt and anything to do with roll cages shouldn't be used in the same sentence. China built junk will not strengthen anything. OR Fab or better yet, Rock Hard sport cages will improve your factory cage. A roll cage is the complete cage, front to back. A sport cage is an addition to your roll cage.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have seen it, but it is a little over my budget. Thank you for the suggestion though.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Seriously just leave your stock roll bar over smittybilt. If you want bolt on then the best is definitely rock hard, followed by ORFAB.

Now can you weld? You can get some weld on cages for pretty good prices (at least on my TJ anyway haven't looked at JK's). It will be stronger than any bolt on cage if done right.

·
Registered
415 Posts
gibbs007 said:
X2

A Smittybuilt cage will probably just do more harm then good for you. Think about it. Your puttin a roll cage in it for strength and durability. Going the most "cost efficient" route isn't always the best. I seen rollovers all over wheelin Moab, jamborees, and crawls. PSC has a great product to strengthen the jeep as a whole and protection from the unfortunate times. Ofab is a good competitor. But saying Smittybuilt and roll cage in the same sentence is a death trap on wheels

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
I wouldn't go with Poison Spyder due to the issues found and hashed out on jkowners. I was going to do OR Fab front and Poly Performance rear but since finding a skilled welder in my area I am going with: a full Poly Performance cage

-Dan

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing I am a little worried about is the added weight of the cage affecting the way the car drives/weight distribution. Can anyone either refute or legitimize this concern?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
One thing I am a little worried about is the added weight of the cage affecting the way the car drives/weight distribution. Can anyone either refute or legitimize this concern?
uh, in terms of what? yes, adding a few hundred pounds of metal will make the jeep heavier. what exactly is your concern?

·
Registered
5,616 Posts
I can't see it making much of a difference. Sure weight affects the way your jeep handles.

You have to watch out how you distribute the weight in your jeep. If you move to much from the back to the front it can make your jeep do crazy things offroad. You know like when you move 12oz at a time from the back to the front.

·
Registered
784 Posts
With the issues I had with just their fenders, no way I'd want to deal with the headache of putting in a cage from Smittybilt. RH is the way I'm going.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I wouldn't go with Poison Spyder due to the issues found and hashed out on jkowners. I was going to do OR Fab front and Poly Performance rear but since finding a skilled welder in my area I am going with: a full Poly Performance cage

-Dan
Before you order the old style Synergy cage take a look at the new one shipping in December that goes behind the dash. Synergy Suspension :: Synergy Suspension 07+ Jeep JK 2/4 Door DIY Sport Cage Kit

I can cut you a good deal on these with a pre-order.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Supporting Member
2,420 Posts
That looks like a pretty good deal. How much welding is required and how will it hold up vs other bolt on cages?
Apples and oranges to a bolt in kit. This one welds in completely and ties into the frame. Not held together by bolts. Not knocking bolt in sport cages, I have seen them withstand roll overs, but not comparable to a weld in kit.

There is a ton of welding and I am having someone local to me do it. About $400 over 2 days. There is a lot of work to it, besides burning it in, there is the removal of seats, carpet and finishing it in a color or liner.

-Dan

1 - 17 of 17 Posts