Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had Smittybilt Gen 2 bumpers as well as the tire carrier installed on my 2016 JKU. The shop did a great job but I am noticing the tire carrier rattles. All. The. Time. When I’m by myself and the radio is turned up I don’t really notice it that much, but when my wife is with me it is extremely noticeable. When I check it out I can move the tire carrier back and forth a fraction of an inch which makes me think the turnbuckle probably needs some adjustment. I’ve also done a forum search and found a little info where people were able to adjust theirs but they are older posts and I cannot seem to get anyone to respond to those threads.

I’m going to have the shop that installed it take a look at it if I can’t figure it out on my own. I have to take it by when I hit the 500 mile mark on my lift kit anyway, but I just wanted some feedback if anyone had any ideas that I could try in the meantime.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I recently had Smittybilt Gen 2 bumpers as well as the tire carrier installed on my 2016 JKU. The shop did a great job but I am noticing the tire carrier rattles. All. The. Time. When I’m by myself and the radio is turned up I don’t really notice it that much, but when my wife is with me it is extremely noticeable. When I check it out I can move the tire carrier back and forth a fraction of an inch which makes me think the turnbuckle probably needs some adjustment. I’ve also done a forum search and found a little info where people were able to adjust theirs but they are older posts and I cannot seem to get anyone to respond to those threads.

I’m going to have the shop that installed it take a look at it if I can’t figure it out on my own. I have to take it by when I hit the 500 mile mark on my lift kit anyway, but I just wanted some feedback if anyone had any ideas that I could try in the meantime.
I have the same tire carrier and mine does the same thing, but from what I've read, they're notorious for rattling. One of the guys at my shop (they didn't install the carrier though) said to back off all the bolts a tad, throw some loctite on em and fasten them back down. It's the only way he's found to HELP eliminate the rattles. Otherwise you'll be dong it weekly. I haven't had the time to do it yet so I don't know if it'll work, but it's on my list this weekend.

I plan on replacing the whole POS with in a year.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mine does the same. Have adjusted it several times, makes no difference. Eventually I will replace it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. I’ve only had it a week so if we can’t get it worked out I will probably just have to have a regular upgraded carrier and hinges installed and return this thing.

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I installed mine the instructions were a little confusing when it came to the shims used on the spindle for the tire carrier attachment to the bumper. at first mine would rattle so I tightened down the spindle bolt. that stopped the rattle but made it impossible to open the gate. I ended up taking it apart and really studying the assembly. The shims top and bottom are absolutely necessary to get it tightened to a point where it doesn't rattle but still swings freely. Have the shop check that out.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I do notice that the gate is somewhat difficult to open, but I just assumed it was from the weight of the spare. Now I’m wondering it that’s part of the problem. Where exactly do the shims go? I guess I should try looking at the instructions myself.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I had a shop install mine and I was concerned about rattles, but 1500 miles into it and I'm keeping my fingers crossed I don't have any except when I find a patch of washboard road.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ran it by this morning to the shop that installed it and they had it adjusted in under 10 minutes. No more rattles!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to Off-Road Mafias in Marietta. They are on Cobb Pkwy just a couple of miles south of Barrett Pkwy on the right hand side. You have to turn at the light where the big indoor storage facility is and then turn left down the little access road. They are great guys to work with and are on Facebook. They are also members of the Cherokee County Jeepers group on Facebook. Drew Hyman is the owner. If you call or go by tell him I sent you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
no rattles on mine which was a concern when purchasing. 6k miles in I'm all good in all terrains. (mostly sand and road though no serious off-roading yet)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts