Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone get a Smittybilt Gen 3 winch yet?
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
171 Posts
ive had one for a bit. load indicator is awesome, keep in mind it tells you amp draw not LB of your pull so its accurate no matter how much rope you have on the drum. I did some pull testing to see if i could get it into 3 reds flashing. hooked up to a f350 dually and chocked its wheels. winch would barely get to yellow with my jeep in neutral foot on the brake and wheels chocked. finally got it to 1 red after i hooked up another jeep behind mine, had them stand on their brakes and chocked the wheels. Thats when the dually began moving. Done about a dozen pulls and it keeps on going. The remote i didnt like at first since its not like a conventional remote rocker switch, but you get used to it quickly. It feels good in the hands and the light is helpful.

I personally didnt like the added size the armor gave it. plus it looks better with the armor off.

the aux port on it is helpful. locked the keys in the jeep and it had a dead battery. couldn't pop the locks without power. so i hooked up a jump box to the winch to give the jeep enough power to activate the unlock button. Tow truck drive was like that a cool trick , i need to remember that.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon, manual.
37 Posts
ive had one for a bit. load indicator is awesome, keep in mind it tells you amp draw not LB of your pull so its accurate no matter how much rope you have on the drum. I did some pull testing to see if i could get it into 3 reds flashing. hooked up to a f350 dually and chocked its wheels. winch would barely get to yellow with my jeep in neutral foot on the brake and wheels chocked. finally got it to 1 red after i hooked up another jeep behind mine, had them stand on their brakes and chocked the wheels. Thats when the dually began moving. Done about a dozen pulls and it keeps on going. The remote i didnt like at first since its not like a conventional remote rocker switch, but you get used to it quickly. It feels good in the hands and the light is helpful.

I personally didnt like the added size the armor gave it. plus it looks better with the armor off.

the aux port on it is helpful. locked the keys in the jeep and it had a dead battery. couldn't pop the locks without power. so i hooked up a jump box to the winch to give the jeep enough power to activate the unlock button. Tow truck drive was like that a cool trick , i need to remember that.
I have one arriving tomorrow. I was see there is a blue and white small wire, which I guess provides power to the logo light. I was wondering where you connected to for intermittent power? I have hard rock 2015.

·
Registered
6,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have had this winch for 2 years now. Great winch, works like a charm pulls like a champ.
As for the logo light, well, I just snipped that blue/white wire off. I keep a cover on the winch so I dont want the logo light coming on. The spool light in the bar comes on when you plug the controller in.

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon, manual.
37 Posts
I have had this winch for 2 years now. Great winch, works like a charm pulls like a champ.
As for the logo light, well, I just snipped that blue/white wire off. I keep a cover on the winch so I dont want the logo light coming on. The spool light in the bar comes on when you plug the controller in.

Thanks for letting me know. It ended up arriving today, but have to wait on the mounting plate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts