Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a smittybilt xrc 8 winch and from what I have read online my problem is rare. The electric motor works while its off from the rest of the winch, when I put it back onto the winch I get no nothing. The electric motor does work. Its got to be in the gears or spool. I took the gears out and regressed them and I took the brake out of the spool and regressed it hoping to fix it and still nothing. Has anybody else had this problem? If so have you fixed it? Or do you know where I can get specific parts parts for my winch? I'm stumped on why the winch motor works only when it's off from the winch itself when you join them together it doesn't spin the gears thus making the winch work. Any info would be great

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Is there some kind of safety? Why don't you call them direct? Sorry I'm no help but sounds like something might be overlooked. If motors turn, so should everything else if it's all good. Check for loose electrical connections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All the grounds are good also power terminals are good bypassed the solenoid and put power strait to the winch and also got nothing. The only time the motor will turn it when it is disconnected from the rest of the winch and also all the gears turn very smooth and freely. The brake system is in correct also. I guess I will have to call them direct because I've got breakdowns of the entire winch inside and out and everything looks correct. This project really has me stumped. It almost feels like the spool is in a bind ( the cable is off of the spool) but I've greased everything still nothing. The magnets inside it are working properly or the motor wouldn't work while its off. Thanks for the suggestions guys but its not a connection problem electric motor works and spins smoothly. Its like the spool is putting it in a bind and not allowing the winch to actually turn. Any suggestions are better than none thanks guys

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also there are no safety's that the manuals online list maybe I'm overlooking something but have tore the guts out of this winch completely Lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks tom95yj if I figure it out I'll post what the problem was so maybe I can help someone else

1 - 8 of 8 Posts