Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Need some input on this. http://www.smittybilt.com/product/index/189.htm It will be carrying 35" toyo open country mts on 20" fuel wheels. (Heavy combo) Will stress on the gate and hinges be a concern? Has anyone had first hand experience with this carrier?
When I upgraded to 35's I started out with that tire carrier. I kept it on for a week and returned it because I heard my tailgate sheet metal bend and pop over every big bump in the road. I felt it was the equivalent to the stock carrier.

I ended up biting the bullet and going for a bumper carrier combo. I really think your only option is a hinged carrier or a bumper carrier.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I just don't trust the Smittybilt tire carriers. I had one on my TJ with a 33" tire and it would swing open on me on the trails. I know the newer ones come with a billet latch but I cant give them my money after that experience.

Im putting 37s on my JK and adding the Poison Spyder body mounted carrier.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the Smittybilt on right now with 35s. No noises, solid, very, very tight with the support bars with the tire. I went with this right now because I wanted to spend money on other mods first.

I'll probably switch to Teraflex eventually but it'll probably be 6 months to 1 year from now. For what it's worth, I have no concern with the Smittybilt right now. Only hesitation is because of the reputation on the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I have the Smittybilt on right now with 35s. No noises, solid, very, very tight with the support bars with the tire. I went with this right now because I wanted to spend money on other mods first.

I'll probably switch to Teraflex eventually but it'll probably be 6 months to 1 year from now. For what it's worth, I have no concern with the Smittybilt right now. Only hesitation is because of the reputation on the forums.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
+1, I have the same one, no complaints, recently switched to 35's from 33's, zero issues, vibrations, noises etc. Eventually I'll upgrade the hinges in the door, IF, the factory ones fail, for now they're doing good. If I ever switch to 37's then I'll go with a diff carrier. 35s is about as big as I'll go with this carrier, and for $120, I really have nothing bad to say about it.
20160227_170126 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

20160227_170227 by SilverFJ RSM, on Flickr

·
Registered
107 Posts
Couple more photos for OP since rsmwrangler posted some. Again OP, it's very solid. I know the extra weight on the hinges gets talked about a lot, but as of right now I have no complaints.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts