Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

So I have a few products from smittybilt, XRC fender flares, which required some drilling I to the body, as well as the body cladding which has a lot of body drilling....

So my problem is that I can't stop freaking that my 2012 JKU is headed for rust hell.... Anyone have so e reviews on there products, I love the way they look but worry if the longevity.

Also I hate that the fender liners couldn't be used with these fenders, I trimmed the fronts down but coverage isn't what I would have hoped for, and worry that heavy mud will ripp them off, also worry about electronics malfunctioning due to excessive water.

Comments welcome!!

·
Super Moderator
8,184 Posts
I just had countless holes drilled in my Jeep for my Fab Fours sliders with armor. But I am in Phoenix so much different climate. Did you do anything to seal the bare metal at the drill holes? Is there any kind of liner or barrier between the armor and the Jeep or just metal on metal? I would be more concerned about the sheet metal rusting than the armor rusting-if the armor rusts you could always just replace it with a new set of the same thing, but if the sheet metal rusts bigger problem.

Jeeps are designed that a little water at slow speed you shouldnt have anything to worry about in the underneath parts. If you regularly drive full speed through lakes tho lol I think fenders will be the least of your worries. It would probably be easier to get body work done to replace the fenders than the many holes for the armor.

Just my two cents until someone else chimes in. One reason it is best to ponder long and hard that you are committed to your choices when it involves drilling multiples of holes. Good luck!

·
i'm back
13,706 Posts
grab a can of spray paint... tape off the section, drill, spray, and repeat until no bare metal is exposed. use the tape though... or you're going to have overspray on the body... :mooning:

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I have been spraying bed liner on the holes I drilled in the frame and bumpers, but I am also interested to see if anyone has any feedback or experience for this thread.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I used some marine spicy around the holes I drilled , and a heavy grease around the body holes, I'm def. not concerned about the products rusting, more about the jeep itself.... Probably gonna get the sheet metal bed lined at some point....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts