Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm converting my jeep into fuel injection and want to know about the check engine light that has to be added.

Can it be the emiss maint

Or

does it need to be one of these 3 standard

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The emissions maintenance light on the YJ was a timer set for 82,500 miles or so many hours. It's only purpose was to remind you to change the )2 sensor at that time. No longer needed throw the bulb out and remove the box that signals the light. It is just to right of the accelerator pedal. Has no future use or function on a YJ.

Less parts less weight better mpg and one less thing to fix.

There is no emission light required on an 89 in the state of Nevada for emission because it was not a factory time at the time of sale. You just have to hit the numbers which hasn't been a problem.

2.5L or 4.0, 4.2???? Must be a six cylinder 89 2.5L were TBI from the factory.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howell tbi on a 89 4.2 Sahara. I don't have a light behind the emiss maint so I wanted to know if its smog legal to use that light as a check engine if not i will make a check engine Lightroom the right of it with a red LED.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you get the CA CARB certified Howell kit? If so it should have come with its own check engine light. If not your not smog legal in CA. Anyways so the light becomes a smaller issue.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you get the CA CARB certified Howell kit? If so it should have come with its own check engine light. If not your not smog legal in CA. Anyways so the light becomes a smaller issue.
I stand corrected...comes with the diagnostic port not a light. I do know you can hook one up but not sure it's needed. I know if it had one originally it needs to operate but that's not the case with our Jeeps.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
I'm converting my jeep into fuel injection and want to know about the check engine light that has to be added.

Can it be the emiss maint

Or

does it need to be one of these 3 standard
In an emissions state you need it to be the standard in your second attachment.

Weather you need one or not, its always good to have, makes it easier to read codes and lets you immediately know if it sees a problem so you can get it fixed before other stuff gets damaged (Like a CAT going bad because of a stuck open injector)...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts