Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was teaching my girlfriend how to drive stick shift today and after we switched back, I drove home. We were at a stoplight and I saw smoke coming out of the two heater vents above the radio. I immediately shut off the engine and put on my flashers and checked my gauges. They were fine, no check engine, the temp was normal and oil pressure was fine. I am wondering what the hell the smoke came from and why??? While I was teaching her she had the parking brake on without me knowing for a couple runs going into first gear, but we switched and the incident occurred later on way after we had switched. Anyone know why it would be smoking??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Check your blower motor resistor. I haven't heard of these smoking but from what I saw of mine (it was already not working when I bought the jeep) I could imagine it could smoke

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All speed settings work. Ever since I bought the jeep the leg vents seem to just default to defrost. But yes, all heater vents still work. Just freaked me out.

·
Registered
717 Posts
how much and what kind

There should be only 2 ways that smoke can come from the heater vents. Either there is something inside the ducts causing the smoke (resistor or fan motor) or the smoke is entering the fresh air intake.

I would agree that it is probably the heater resistor. Shouldn't be the fan motor as that is outside the ducts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It wasn't a lot, but enough to freak me out, it reminded me of the smoke that would come from the side of a cigar/cigarette. streamy, and it had an odor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Is this jeep new to you? I had a friend that this happened to and he had a bunch of leaves and what looked like a squirrel nest in his vents that actually caught fire and smoked him out of the truck.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've had the jeep for about 2 months now. How do I check the heatercore?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, it has A/c, but I haven't ran it yet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
The reason I asked about the a/c is this, I was driving my '01 last summer, no top or doors with the a/c switch in the off position and the blower not running. My passenger noticed white(ish) whispy(like cigarette) smoke coming from the vents(upper). The problem was that the a/c compressor clutch was engaged even though the switch was off. The evaporator was freezing up without the blower running, and high Texas humidity. I haven't noticed it ever happening since then but now I always leave the blower running no matter what.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I'm not sure if your Jeep has the same issue as mine did, but it was very unusual. What did the smoke smell like? If it's the heater core it will smell like antifreeze. The smoke coming from mine didn't have a noticeable smell.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That sounds similar. My heater was not blowing and totally in the off position. I make it a habit to always turn it to off before turning off the vehicle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Did the smoke smell like bruning leaves, fuel or oil products, or sweet smelling? The smell with much better narrow it down. Also it is a good idea to run the A/C or defrost once a month if you have a compresser just to move the lubricant inside it a bit.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If i had to put a label on the smell it would be slightly sweet

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sounds like an old fashioned Heater core gone bad if it's sweet smelling.

Easiest one I ever replaced was in the 65 comet.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If i had to put a label on the smell it would be slightly sweet
I know some antifreeze tastes sweet, but to me it just smells like antifreeze. Anyway, if you think the problem is the heater core, keep an eye on your coolant reservoir under the hood, if you are losing coolant you should notice the level dropping.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts