Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my first Jeep in July - 2013 JKU. On two occasions, after driving for over an hour in either heavy rain or snow and coming to a prolonged stop in traffic, fairly thick smoke or steam came from my front grill. My engine temp was normal in both instances. Is this typical for a Jeep due to the grill / radiator placement or should I get it checked out?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Weird, I experienced this today after I used the touch less car wash. I assumed some of the water turned to ice when it was parked and then cooked off when it got to temp agin. My gauges were all good and it smelled like steam so I wash't to concerned.

Tagged to hear from the old timers...

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
It's just water trapped in the fins of your radiator. Turns to steam when you stop.

Happens every time I hose the bugs and dirt off my radiator.
Takes a really long time for all the water to evaporate, couple days sometimes.

I hear you though, freaked me out the first time I saw it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Water boils at 212 degrees, the engine runs around 220. Any water hitting the radiator when it's at temp will steam up.

Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had an 06 Pacifica that did it all the time. I would be sitting at a signal light and steam would be coming out the front grill. You would think it was over heating, but it was just water hitting the front radiator and evaporating

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Freaked me out the first time. I pulled off the road and opened the hood to only find it was steam from rain at the time. I can only imagine what other people on the road think when they see it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Mine does it also, sometimes I get a faint coolant smell when I pull into the garage.
I don't see any coolant anywhere and the level remains the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
mine just started doing this, I always park in garage.. It freaks me out I only have 900 miles on it. Should I get it check out

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
If you crawl underneath and look up you will see and overflow coolant tube that is mid engine pointing down. A couple people have complained that their coolant was over filled and this overflow valve would spit some coolant out. Because it's mid engine the coolant can land on a lot of hot parts and burn off.

I have seen it in a couple off road runs. Smell
of coolant and liquid burning on the front diff. There was a tread not too long ago and people we going to use a turkey baster to take some fluid out.

Next time you smell it, if you can, crawl under and see. I believe salton sea walker had this issue.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
99% of the time it's steam due to moisture in the air. It happens to all JK's. It's always a good idea to make sure that there isn't a coolant leak. Since the expansion tank is vented you can get an odor.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Thank you for this post!! I was driving home from work last night in my ZJ...it was raining. I started getting steam coming from the front grill when I would stop. Temp was fine, I had heat, and everything seemed to be running as it should too. This would make sense of why that was happening.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haha! This same thing happened to me too yesterday. Pulled over, popped the hood, and nothing... Figured it was just water, but hadn't seen it happen in the past year and a half that I've owned my JKU. I did go through a car wash a few days prior as well.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yup, normal, you'll notice when you drive with snow coming down heavy, at a stop, or cold weather with rain...Any moisture hitting the fins when it's cold will do this, you get a puff, but won't last long at a stop. Moisture from the condensation is white color, just steam.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts