Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a set off eBay. I have an all black Jeep and was curious if anyone had the same setup and could post some pictures. I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Did you buy the can you spray on? Vinyl? or complete new light case?

I smoked out the lights on my Honda S2000 and driving at nightime sucks. I used the spray method though.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I was a auto insurance adjuster for many years. I have denied claims for this reason. We usually paid the claim in the end. Remove the 3rd brake light, smoke the lenses dark your just begging if someone rear ends you. Do you think lenses are red for a reason. If your rear ended and your insurance company does pay your claim but see's those smoked lenses you need to expect to pay a higher insurance premium at renewal. Good luck!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
710 Posts
mcgee10 said:
I was a auto insurance adjuster for many years. I have denied claims for this reason. We usually paid the claim in the end. Remove the 3rd brake light, smoke the lenses dark your just begging if someone rear ends you. Do you think lenses are red for a reason. If your rear ended and your insurance company does pay your claim but see's those smoked lenses you need to expect to pay a higher insurance premium at renewal. Good luck!!!!!!!!
What if u keep the thrid brake light, are u still at risk?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
What if u keep the thrid brake light, are u still at risk?
You can read through the below link (I didn't see anything) and make your own call.

625 ILCS 5/ Illinois Vehicle Code.

But honeslty...why risk it?

To look cool?

And when someone rear ends you and gets of scott free becaue they claimed they could not see your tail-lights....then what?

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
This question – legality, common sense, safety – comes up every time there's a thread about blacking out lights. Without judging the efficacy of it, I'll say this:

I'm a fairly stand-up guy. If I run into your Jeep, and it's my fault, I will own up to it. However, being fairly well-versed in human nature, I must admit that it would be tempting, if you were running blacked out lights, to point that out to the first leo on the scene.

What I'm saying is, it's something that can be exploited, in a world where peeps love to sue, and insurance companies are just looking for an excuse not to honor an expensive claim. Food for thought...

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yeah basically if I tear up my Jeep because I couldn't tell you were stopping because you blacked out something that was meant to shine bright as a warning, insurance will be the least off your troubles.

I'm a nice guy, but that's just how it is. The older I get, the lower my tolerance level for stupidity gets.

Let's hit the trails together and quit worrying about cosmetics.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I did mine. NiteShades, spray on application. The more coats you do the darker it is. I did 2 coats. Looks great and not to dark to be a safety hazard.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Yeah basically if I tear up my Jeep because I couldn't tell you were stopping because you blacked out something that was meant to shine bright as a warning, insurance will be the least off your troubles.

I'm a nice guy, but that's just how it is. The older I get, the lower my tolerance level for stupidity gets.

Let's hit the trails together and quit worrying about cosmetics.
You noticed that, too, huh? :rofl:

Yeah, I could forgive a simpleton when I was 20. Hell, I was one. Now, not so much...

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This fad reminds me of when young people put pinstriping tape across their taillights in the late 1980s for the white-out look on their ratted out Honda Accords, Civics, and Preludes. They blocked out well over 50+ per cent of their brake signal and were ticked off when the police issued citations for it.

All about image then and all about image now.

·
Registered
176 Posts

X2. I'm a 30 year LEO. Putting on smoked len's on headlights and tail lights is absolutely quite an ignorant thing to do. The lights are there to be seen. It also can be interpreted as a; "deliberate modification", which is something you could be cited for.:banghead:

·
Registered
876 Posts
X2. I'm a 30 year LEO. Putting on smoked len's on headlights and tail lights is absolutely quite an ignorant thing to do. The lights are there to be seen. It also can be interpreted as a; "deliberate modification", which is something you could be cited for.:banghead:
Years ago I had a Datsun 280zx and I put the smoke head light covers on because I was going for the blacked out look and aerodynamics and and they looked cool. :punk: Kinda like this:

I couldn't see worth a damn at night and had to add driving lights to the bumper so I could see farther than 50 feet but at least I looked cool. :doh:

·
Registered
583 Posts
Two options here...one is just stupid IMO and the other is not a risk. Many people use NiteShades to actually tint their factory lenses. Bad idea as it restricts the light output when you need it most - stepping on the brake or shifting into reverse!!!!

The other option is the led taillights which while expensive have black or platnium boards and very lightly tinted lense and do not in any way IMO restrict the light output upon activiation.

Restricting stock lights with paint = bad
Completely new housings that appear dark while not restricting output = good

Comparing my led tails to my stock tails I can tell you without a doubt that the aftermarket LEDs are easily twice as bright in blinker, stop, lit, or reverse phases.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Two options here...one is just stupid IMO and the other is not a risk. Many people use NiteShades to actually tint their factory lenses. Bad idea as it restricts the light output when you need it most - stepping on the brake or shifting into reverse!!!!

The other option is the led taillights which while expensive have black or platnium boards and very lightly tinted lense and do not in any way IMO restrict the light output upon activiation.

Restricting stock lights with paint = bad
Completely new housings that appear dark while not restricting output = good

Comparing my led tails to my stock tails I can tell you without a doubt that the aftermarket LEDs are easily twice as bright in blinker, stop, lit, or reverse phases.

<nods> Will look into that, I think I can order them through work. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
I don't see an issue with a smoked lens that was made that way and has been approved for street use. I do see a problem with those that spray over their lens. That is illegal, not that many enforce it but they should. You can't darken an already red tinted lens without cutting light. It's impossible. You may still see some light but not as good as you should and it beckons a wreck especially in bright sun light.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts