Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I've been a Jeeper for years now and I never thought to join a forum but now I'm looking for some help. So today I finally switched my old dingy stock headlights on my 2010 JKU for halos. I'm pretty sure those are legal because they have the DOT (department of transportation) stamped on them. But I used smoke plastidip to tint my turning signals slightly. You can still see a hint of amber on them but mostly a smokey black color. They have absolutely no difference of the amber color when they are turned on. I just hated the amber color with the new halos and my forest green Jeep color. Someone warned me that I could get pulled over for tinting my signals. In no way did I think that this was unsafe since when they're on there is no visible difference between when they were not tinted and now. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with being told they couldn't have smoked out turn signals. thanks :))

·
Registered
733 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Any pics? I would think as long as they are still clearly visible when in use you should be fine. I remember when nite shade was really popular and people used them on tail lights, could barely see that ish.

·
▄▌ee▐▀
1,791 Posts
Laws may vary on it.

Some are ok with the tint as long as when they are on it still shows amber.

Some frown on it because it is not just a turn signal, while it is off, it is a reflector so with you putting tint them, other lights are not reflecting off them so you are not as visible.

In the end I think it comes down to whether a cop sees it and feels like giving you a hard time for it.

·
Commercial Member
7,874 Posts
I'm sure it just depends on location and which police officer it is.
The previous owner had tinted mine quite dark, never had an issue with police, however other drivers could not see my tail lights or signals hardly during the daylight hours.

I swapped to LED brake lights, and went clear on signals instead.

ForumRunner_20170603_092900.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts