Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was driving today and smelled a burning smell. I pulled over and popped the hood, and saw that the a/c pulley was smoking pretty badly, it was making kind of a grinding/screeching noise. Im guessing the bearing are shot and it needs to be replaced. But I was just wondering if the a/c can be taken out of the belt routing with a shorter belt? Would I just opt for the non a/c belt? I never use a/c anyhow and its almost winter time. Thanks!

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I belive when you go to the store for a serpentine belt you have the option of with or with out a/c. I'm not sure if it would still rub on the pulley if you got the other belt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Im wondering because Ive seen other cars that had completely different pulley setup from the non a/c to the a/c models. Hopefully Jeep had the same routing just the without a/c.

·
Registered
698 Posts
any of the parts stores will have part numbers/belts for no ac and ac. The thing was with my YJ when I bought my new belt there were also a difference in the idlers. The AC belt might have one more idler. I don't know for sure. Don't know if its the same with the TJs.

Also if you're doing this, why don't you just take the compressor out?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Most likely because of the R-134a in the lines is why they don't want to take it off. And its cold out. I've thought about pulling the a/c compress or off my jeep because I never use it and it doesn't work that well and its one more thing to get it the way when working on the jeep, but I need to find a service center to remove the refridgerant before I can pull it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also if you're doing this, why don't you just take the compressor out?
Im going to take the compressor completely out, but I dont have the time to do that until the weekend. My Jeep is my DD, so I need her up and running.

·
Registered
698 Posts
oh ok understandable. i couldn't tell you if that belt would clear than.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You might start by disconnecting the electrical connector that plugs into the compressor clutch, see if that stops the smoke.

If the pulley is smoking when the clutch is not energized, then the problem is probably just the clutch-pulley. This can be replaced much easier than the entire compressor, without opening the system up or loosing refrigerant. And it's cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
The belt for a non AC TJ for your year will clear just fine, so leave the compressor on until you want to remove it, just make sure you unplug the connector going into the compressor or the clutch will engage/disengage every time you use the defroster.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My a/c did same thing, ( 98) I put non a/c serp belt on , make sure you put on correctly or gen light will come on, then went n got new a/c clutch, pulled old one off with difficulty, becarful of felt gasket, did not have to remove or disconnect a/c unit, clutch kit comes with spacers so measure gap before removal , replace belt n check, I forget gap size for engage/disengage , all n all it about 1hour n a few beers, good luck

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone. I put the new non a/c belt on today in about 5 minutes flat. Damn thing fit on easier than the stock belt with a/c.

I didnt realize I had to unplug electrical connector. Ill get right on that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts