Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's got 184500 miles and no cat and uses a quart of oil between oil changes. The smoke is white.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Check your radiator levels white smoke can be water getting into the combustion chamber. not good.
x-2 you could have a bad head gasket. Signs are whitish smoke, bubbles in the radiator, low coolant level. Sometimes you can actually smell the antifreeze in the exhaust or if you hold your hand in the exhaust you can feel the moisture. Check your valve cover for moisture and the chocolate looking slop.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
The cat may have been hiding the problem

·
Registered
698 Posts
burning off something on the inside of the exhaust?

·
Registered
44 Posts
How many miles are on the new exhaust? I've never seen smoke coming out of the exhaust though....and I second the idea that the old cat was hiding issues...

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Oh......they're fun to change

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have blue colored smoke, what does it mean?
Blue is usually not good at all. Your oil is probably mixing with your fuel and then burning out the exhaust. It could be a series of issues, but to be honest, you probably need to be saving up for a rebuild or a different engine. YOu can run it for a while but eventually it will probably give up the ghost. :mad: Another sign is if you check your oil today and make sure it is full then a couple of weeks from now, or even a couple of days depending on how much smoke, you need to check the oil again and see if it is going down. You should have the same amount of oil all the time. It should not be going down unless you have a leak in your engine from the oil pan gasket, or it is burning oil while you are driving it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
burning off something on the inside of the exhaust?
I have a 90 and 91 wrangler. for a short time, the exhaust is heavy and blue. It smells like rodent nesting material. The oil levels are fine in both. It seems like an odd coincidence that they both have this condition, and, it has been more than once in this winter season. We have dismissed it at mice nesting, but, I'm curious to know if anyone else has had this problem

1 - 18 of 18 Posts