Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted, they are cable-wire-rope & heavy load riggers

reeking of contempt for synthetic line but they've always before given good advise/service on various tools for wood splitting.

Yesterday check out his inventory of Snatch Blocks....ok, didn't need the 80,000# working weight variety.....

He had a number of rather pudgy 4-5-6" pulley units marked such as "3 ton" "4 1/2 ton" "6 ton" etc
which were for what they sell: cable.

Snarky/smirky/self satisfied advised I'd be better to mount 3/8" cable @ 48 cents/foot and take the "4 1/2 ton" block @ $47 than mess with what I already got.

He advised these figures were typically used up to 3x their logo load, and my "11,500# synthetic line" could use his with no concern.

Asking about the '20-30,000#' limit as the line pull on a snatch block is purported to be 'double' etc etc .

He dismissed the whole notion. I was entirely unsatisfied. Warn Itself has prime synthetic snatch block highly rated for $135 but who actually NEEDS one if not mud/rock/avid bogster driver?

In any case what I regarded as bogus advise continues to confuse/annoy what I thought I understood about the subject.

Maybe shouldn't have sent the cheap on sale snatch back.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Kidding me? I picked up...idk, 20,000-25,000# snatchblock for like $25-$30 at tsc.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
A quality snatch block that is synthetic safe is gonna cost.
The way I under stand it. If you have a 12k winch an 18k snatch is safe. No need to go over 24K.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
I got 2 20000 lb ARB's that will probably outlive me.

Cost only hurt once and I have a short memory.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
The way I under stand it. If you have a 12k winch an 18k snatch is safe. No need to go over 24K.
If you have a 12,000 pull winch and double or triple the pull your equipment (Straps, shackles & attachment/pull points) better be able to handle the load.

Usually the heavier pulls are from mud suction or pulling a vehicle up a steep hill.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The two I got at tsc are synthetic safe, checked to be sure. They are rated at least 20,000#.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
3/8" Spydura parts around 14,400 lbs. Single line pull. Double the pull and that equip. will be (9.5 winch) 18,000 lbs.

·
Registered
6,774 Posts
I have a question then.
If your syn line has a breaking strength of 17,600# , your winch is 12,000#, then you double pull with a snatch (24,000#) are you not exceeding the syn line strength.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I have a question then.
If your syn line has a breaking strength of 17,600# , your winch is 12,000#, then you double pull with a snatch (24,000#) are you not exceeding the syn line strength.
From my understanding, the force on each leg of rope is about 1/2 of the total load. The big question is it an "apparent" force or a real force. If it is real, then the line would be approx 35200# total capability. Because inquiring minds want to know, I tried to search and everything I could find was "double the pulling power of your winch" without any reference to the breakign strength. I would be very interested in the answer too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts