Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i know this question has probably been asked a thousand times, but I was wondering if it is worth investing in a snorkel? I don't want to use it unless I have to, but I have seen where it might increase the mpg (by 1 or 2). Also I've been looking on eBay and they run about $75-$100 is there a reason to not this vs a more expensive one? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
no, it wont increase mpg or power. oem air box is atleast 36" up, you'll run into issues with breather lines at that point too, possibly lower depending on configuration.

i spent $30 for a windstar air box and a new filter, then ran it through the cowl. i'd have to take water up to the windshield to get in there. and its invisible from the outside

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
no, it wont increase mpg or power. oem air box is atleast 36" up, you'll run into issues with breather lines at that point too, possibly lower depending on configuration.

i spent $30 for a windstar air box and a new filter, then ran it through the cowl. i'd have to take water up to the windshield to get in there. and its invisible from the outside
What he said. If you really want it just mod it yourself. Me personally, I'm doing it for "oh sh*t" moments cause I've had close calls. But 100 bucks for an extended tube is rediculous and sadly that's a low end snorkel! Most run 400 or 500.

Also jed, I can't get past the whole cowl thing. Water goes in that grate, I get the concept but it just seems like a strange set up. I haven't taken the cowl off in a while, think I could fit the horn of the stock box and have it face up and away from the grate? Just curious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, it wont increase mpg or power. oem air box is atleast 36" up, you'll run into issues with breather lines at that point too, possibly lower depending on configuration. i spent $30 for a windstar air box and a new filter, then ran it through the cowl. i'd have to take water up to the windshield to get in there. and its invisible from the outside
I take it you had to seal up everything to make it waterproof to go up to the windshield correct?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What he said. If you really want it just mod it yourself. Me personally, I'm doing it for "oh sh*t" moments cause I've had close calls. But 100 bucks for an extended tube is rediculous and sadly that's a low end snorkel! Most run 400 or 500. Also jed, I can't get past the whole cowl thing. Water goes in that grate, I get the concept but it just seems like a strange set up. I haven't taken the cowl off in a while, think I could fit the horn of the stock box and have it face up and away from the grate? Just curious.
Yeah I'm looking to use it for the same purpose lol

·
Registered
721 Posts
There was an ARB knock of (supposedly exact replica) for TJ's on Amazon for $46 complete kit a few weeks ago. All positive reviews except the instructions were weak they said.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would be willing to buy one of those horns on the stock air box if anyone has one laying around.
I threw one out a couple of weeks ago. You could have had it for the cost of shipping. :atomic:

·
Super Moderator
6,898 Posts
Also jed, I can't get past the whole cowl thing. Water goes in that grate, I get the concept but it just seems like a strange set up. I haven't taken the cowl off in a while, think I could fit the horn of the stock box and have it face up and away from the grate? Just curious.
i tested mine with a garden hose, clogged the drain and let it run. water went in the cab through the hvac and never entered the air horn.

i do clean my drain out every spring, but shouldnt have a problem, even if it is clogged

1 - 14 of 14 Posts