Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a good quality hood mounted snorkel for my 06 tj. i cant seem to find one anywhere.

Does anyone know of any that are of good quality And have field tested them?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
A lot of people advise against them as they are more for show. If you are going to be in water deep enough to use one of those the rest of your Jeep will be in a world of hurt.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
A lot of people advise against them as they are more for show. If you are going to be in water deep enough to use one of those the rest of your Jeep will be in a world of hurt.

OMG! That is so funny. You guys just never cease to amaze me. You learn something new and funny nearly every day.:rofl2:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Snorkels are good for deep water, despite what some critics say. I've had my Jeep in water up to the tops of my fenders, and the stock air intake isn't much higher than that! You just need to keep in mind, that after water like that you need to service your diff fluids and check your t-case and trans fluids.
The other purpose of a snorkel (and the main purpose actually) is to try to suck in fresher and cleaner air from up high rather than the dirty, hot air from under the hood. Snorkels are popular in many areas that are very dusty.
I have a Safari snorkel on my TJ. It's excellent quality, but the install directions weren't the best. Apparently Aussies refer to a fender as a "guard", which I misinterpreted as the flare. This led my template to be off about 1/4", so after drilling my main hole things didn't line up perfect. Never the less I love the snorkel and would recommend the same one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If playing in water its better to be safe than sorry, If you do fit a snorkel make sure you block the drain holes in your airbox, otherwise water will still get in. Also extend your breathers either into snorkel or run the lines up the side of the snorkel.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
For what ever reason, I seem to get sucked into these Snorkel threads probably because there's confusion about them. Facts are, if you have a snorkel and are following someone on a dusty trail, that snorkel will suck in more dust than an OEM airbox will.

They also act like a hook... trees branches love to grab them and tear them off.

Also snorkels kill your resale value as it limits buyers. I would never buy a vehicle that a PO put a snorkel on. Even if the snorkel was just for posing.....its a major red flag for potential problems that I don't want to have to uncover.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts