Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how many people actually do a leak test after they instal their snorkel to ensure there are no leaks.
Take the scoop or pre-filter off, start engine, then put hand tightly over inlet.. If sealed properly the engine will choke out and stall.

Those with Rugged Ridge snorkels in particular should do this on a regular basis to make sure you have no leaks in the many connections it has. A good friend had the lower connection come loose and it sucked water into his air box.

·
Registered
33,930 Posts
I had did that with my River Raider back in late 2007. Blocked off the opening and it shut down the motor. I check my connections all the time it is part of my precheck list when I go off road.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The pressure of blocking the intake puts stress on the joints and can create a leak. Water or smoke test is the only safe way.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The pressure of blocking the intake puts stress on the joints and can create a leak. Water or smoke test is the only safe way.
So if the joints cant take the stress for a second or so then they are not sealed well enough and that is exactly my point. when sealed that thing sucks like a industrial vacuum any weak connection will fail and suck in water.. How are you going to safely use a water test or smoke test with a running engine?

·
Registered
33,930 Posts
I got a question, does water boy get in when it's raining hard?
No not on the River Raider it atomize it. We get a ton of heavy side woods rain in South Florida. I have looked in my air box after driving though mega storms and not one drop.

Now one of the guys in our club has a Arb and he had a lot of water in his box even with the head turned.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No not on the River Raider it atomize it. We get a ton of heavy side woods rain in South Florida. I have looked in my air box after driving though mega storms and not one drop. Now one of the guys in our club has a Arb and he had a lot of water in his box even with the head turned.
Good to know. I'll check my AEV next time it rains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts