Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend I met up with a group of guys that I met to do some wheeling. They all drove JK's and I was the only one without a snorkel. They all said that I needed one pretty badly.

While I don't have anything against the snorkel, I have other things that I want to do to my jeep first. My question is, is having a snorkel on a jk really that necessary. I have heard many people say that because of how the air intake is water can bounce off the hood and go straight in. While this makes sence to me, I have gotten water in my air box, didn't the TJ's have the same style air box. I haven't heard alot of horror stories about the TJ.

And while doing some looking around online I heard alot of stories from people saying they have seen JK's hydrolock in low water at low speeds, but I haven't heard anyone say that they have done it themselves.

So my question is, what do you think?

·
The Bad Guy
23,267 Posts
Let me guess, were you wheeling the pine barrens? I wouldn't take anything in there without a snorkel and extended breather tubes.

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
I've heard lots of horror stories on the forums and trails about hydrolocking JK's, and only seen one. Seen a few sputter from light splashes, too. The OEM airbox is pretty poorly sealed- if you seal up the holes in the bottom, it makes a big difference. Also, adding a splash shield (I ran a piece of plastic off of an old kitchen spatula!) helps. But I ultimately went with a snorkel. Because one popped motor costs a WHOLE lot more than the snorkel! :) Mark W.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
zaitcev said:
I thought the holes in the bottom allowed the rain water to drain out.
I normally wouldnt argue with you mark but crocodile dundee has a point.

·
Registered
398 Posts
yjkid95 said:
Snorkels look sweet to which is a bonus and gets you hot girlfriends. Just don't drive into a lake submerge your jeep and lose it the locnus monster :flipoff:
Snorkels get you hot girlfriends? Haha that's a new selling point for snorkels that I don't think I've ever heard... And not being a dick but it's the loch ness monster bud... That was just so horrible I couldn't let it slide. But thanks for the snorkel plusses!

·
Premium Member
2,020 Posts
It took 10 post to mention Chadwick? I am disappointed

·
Banned
1,962 Posts
I thought the holes in the bottom allowed the rain water to drain out.
But that which lets water out, also lets it in :)

If your main concern is submergence, sealing these up is a good idea. After talking for some time with Kenny at River Raider, he recommended doing this, with or without his snorkel. I saw the logic, and did it. Lately, after some rather gnarly rains, I've not yet found more than MILD condensation under the filter, and none above. I did the same in the wifey's JK, without a snorkel, and same result.

Now, after hitting the mud HARD at Rausch back in June, my sealed airbox had ZERO mud in it, and only a BIT of dirt. Hers had mud splashed all over the air filter (thankfully, none apparent on the other side- take that, K&N haters! :)), which was pre-sealing, by the way. So I like my sealed airboxes :) Mark W.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am not worried so much about submerging my jeep up to the airbox. If that happens I have other issues. I am more worried about water splashing into the intake.

By the way. If you seal those holes at the bottom of your airbox, when water does splash in it won't go anywhere. If you go splash enough in you are going to fill you airbox up with water. No thank you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts