Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's a good snorkel? Seen a redrock snorkel online for 200? Is there a difference between snorkels? Sorry, haven't really researched a lot about them. Any input would be great! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Some require you to cut the hood, some don't. Something to look into.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Yeah I prefer not to cut the hood. I am on my phone and cannot figure out how to put a link on here but rugged ridge has one on extreme terrain and I'm wondering if that is one you do not. That one isn't as long it comes out of the Jeep right below the windshield.

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Thanks! Yeah I prefer not to cut the hood. I am on my phone and cannot figure out how to put a link on here but rugged ridge has one on extreme terrain and I'm wondering if that is one you do not. That one isn't as long it comes out of the Jeep right below the windshield.
The Rugged Ridge Low Mount Snorkel requires you to trim up the fender for installation. Here are the Install Instructions if you're curious. Let me know if you have other questions or if you'd like a quote!

-Ryan

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Rugged Ridge is a much more complex install. No matter which snorkel you choose you will have to cut into your Jeep. Just depends on whether you want to cut the inner fender (and /or outer) or cut the hood.

I prefer the AEV-style snorkel which is the original company to design it. The redrock and all others are knock-offs. AEV has since redesigned their snorkel and no longer sells the model that is copied by many other companies. I purchased my knock off snorkel on ebay for $65. The reason I like this design (besides cost) is that it provides the most direct route to the airbox, without routing piping any lower than the factory air box. The Rugged Ridge design has piping couplers that could fail, hidden in your fender below the air box. This is just a big red flag to me if your purpose is to prevent water ingestion into your engine. Also the cut into the hood is very straight forward and the provided template works great.

Here is mine:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge snorkel and I will say the installation was long but not terribly hard. It does require some minor cutting but they do include a plate to let you put your cowl back on if you want to take the snorkel off.
If you take your time, it is a good looking multi functional kit. My main purpose is the dust precleaner for trail riding when you are not first in line. I am confident in my install and I am sure the connections are watertight.
Some people may be skeptical and that is understood. I would not hesitate to take it thru water.
Lastly it is a convertable snorkel so if you dont want the big part sticking above your windshield, you just screw on the low mount part.
Its all a matter of what you want to do. I personally love my RR Snorkel.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge snorkel and I will say the installation was long but not terribly hard. It does require some minor cutting but they do include a plate to let you put your cowl back on if you want to take the snorkel off.
If you take your time, it is a good looking multi functional kit. My main purpose is the dust precleaner for trail riding when you are not first in line. I am confident in my install and I am sure the connections are watertight.
Some people may be skeptical and that is understood. I would not hesitate to take it thru water.
Lastly it is a convertable snorkel so if you dont want the big part sticking above your windshield, you just screw on the low mount part.
Its all a matter of what you want to do. I personally love my RR Snorkel.
Pics please of the low mount part

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rugged Ridge is a much more complex install. No matter which snorkel you choose you will have to cut into your Jeep. Just depends on whether you want to cut the inner fender (and /or outer) or cut the hood.

I prefer the AEV-style snorkel which is the original company to design it. The redrock and all others are knock-offs. AEV has since redesigned their snorkel and no longer sells the model that is copied by many other companies. I purchased my knock off snorkel on ebay for $65. The reason I like this design (besides cost) is that it provides the most direct route to the airbox, without routing piping any lower than the factory air box. The Rugged Ridge design has piping couplers that could fail, hidden in your fender below the air box. This is just a big red flag to me if your purpose is to prevent water ingestion into your engine. Also the cut into the hood is very straight forward and the provided template works great.

Here is mine:

I got a different version of this one from my boss as a gift, whichever knock off one Extreme Terrain carries. It was a huge fitment issue clusterfuck. It was warped in two directions, had to use some washers to bolt it up, had to bend it in towards the A pillar. The damn rivets weren't even the right size.

It works though and looks fine now. If you go that route just be aware that it will make your airbox its eternal bitch. The friend that was helping mated them up before we should have, and the airbox basically exploded trying to get it back out.

If you get this style, get the ARB one, learn from my headaches.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I have the Rugged Ridge. The install is time consuming, and can be complicated by the varying levels of quality that Rugged Ridge provides. I had to use a heat gun to reshape the primary plastic intake piece to get it to line up properly. One of the AEV/Safari type is a much simpler install. I also have a colleague who broke his hi-mount by hitting a tree branch. I've not seen any of the AEV type break this way.

The Rugged Ridge does look good. Also consider if you have any plans for a roof rack that attaches via the windshield hinge bolts. The Rugged Ridge snorkel will only work with the Rugged Ridge Sherpa roof rack, the Gobi roof rack (with Gobi's adapter), and the Body Armor roof rack, or roof racks that don't rely on the windshield hinges for mounting.

Mike

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
I got a different version of this one from my boss as a gift, whichever knock off one Extreme Terrain carries. It was a huge fitment issue clusterfuck. It was warped in two directions, had to use some washers to bolt it up, had to bend it in towards the A pillar. The damn rivets weren't even the right size.

It works though and looks fine now. If you go that route just be aware that it will make your airbox its eternal bitch. The friend that was helping mated them up before we should have, and the airbox basically exploded trying to get it back out.

If you get this style, get the ARB one, learn from my headaches.
I'm sorry to hear that you had some issues with the install! We put one a RedRock 4x4 Snorkel on a coworkers Jeep and it bolted up nicely. Unfortunately there can be some minor discrepancies in plastic and it sounds like it warped a bit when cooling. The good news is you got it bolted up and it look and works great!

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Here is the low mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Awesome. I am trying to pick between the low mount and the up the windshield. I have a 50 inch light bar so that complicates a few things...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts