Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth getting a snorkel kit put on my 2011 2 door wrangler? Can it actually be used as a "cold air intake?" I don't go off road or anything like that, but I was looking into getting a cold air intake. Your inputs would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
cold air inake is a waste of money.....

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
I was told it slightly improved gas mileage
Depends. On the highway yes you'll see an increase provided you have the ram air scoop filter. The prerunner filters don't do as much. Around town since you're going slow the air isn't forced down the tube as much so it won't change your around town mpg. It's not a huge increase in mpg and it would take a long time to pay of even a $120 knockoff eBay snorkel just with gas savings

·
Registered
374 Posts
Snorkel with ram air gives you minimal MPG gains. I have seen at most 0.5MPG with my AEV snorkel with ram air, but more likely my driving style was the factor. You see little seat of the pants power gains even with a AFe or K&N drop in air filter. The pros - it gives you cooler outside air vs warm engine air and adds protection from hydrolocking.

Before my AEV snorkel I did run a AirRaid CAI system...sounded great...but during warm summer months in city driving or off-roading it made my JKU boggy with little power due to sucking in the nice warm engine heat.

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
If you can drop your IAT temps you will see an increase in MPG and power. The snorkel setups are the only true cold air intakes on the market at this time and will at least get you to ambient temps in the intake compared to under heat which is much higher.

Will you see big improvements, no unless you also combine it with a tune and even then the improvement is probably less than 10%. Unlike most of the board here I do think it is a great idea and I happen to like the looks of the setup and the functionality. I say go for it.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Depends. On the highway yes you'll see an increase provided you have the ram air scoop filter. The prerunner filters don't do as much. Around town since you're going slow the air isn't forced down the tube as much so it won't change your around town mpg. It's not a huge increase in mpg and it would take a long time to pay of even a $120 knockoff eBay snorkel just with gas savings
You will not see a ram-air effect at normal driving speeds. Those glorious WS6 scoops on the late model Trans Ams were just for looking badass. Real race cars have their scoops backwards, because the pressure of the air being forced down off the windshield is significantly more powerful than the "ram" effect.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
You will not see a ram-air effect at normal driving speeds.
I don't have one but I have seriously considered it. If you do a quick search and read replies of people who actually have snorkels they will tell you that there is a small effect at highway speeds(70-75 is "normal driving speed" for me) but they bought it for water protection, not for speed

·
Premium Member
7,353 Posts
It is not the ram air affect that is providing the improvement, it is cooler IAT. As IAT increases timing is pulled. As timing is pulled power is reduced. The reason tuners make more power is one, they remap for higher octane fuel, burns slower and two, they increase timing. Cooler IAT means more power though it will not be earth shattering. If you can achieve an IAT that equals ambient air temp you have an efficient intake track.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I don't have one but I have seriously considered it. If you do a quick search and read replies of people who actually have snorkels they will tell you that there is a small effect at highway speeds(70-75 is "normal driving speed" for me) but they bought it for water protection, not for speed
As mentioned, they got it from cooler air, not from any ram effect. First off, the extreme angles of a snorkel would negate a significant amount of force...unless you have a constant airspeed (which you don't) the lower-pressure pockets throughout the intake will wreck the smooth airflow you need.

Also, if a V8 muscle car can't see any gains from a direct front-to-back or even cowl induction, you're not going to get it from a 4-foot tube with almost 360 degrees' worth of bends. Here's a quote from Lars Grimsrud, one of the two most respected guys in the classic Corvette/GM world, who worked in GM Engineering for quite a while and is about as close to an expert as you'll find on the internet:
"The systems were marketing tools, and the marketing department knew that the cool sound and "ram air" words sold cars."

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Waste of money and time.

·
Retired Mod
11,135 Posts
I don't do a lot of mods, but I would gladly do a snorkel before a "CAI" on a Wrangler. The snorkel will at least pull in cooler air and gives you more protection around water. However, being that you have to cut your hood on "most" snorkels...and that they tend to make themselves a nice, easy red flag for some dealers in terms of warranty....I'm going to pass for now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts