Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2018 jkr recon edition with LED lights. Which not being heated we’re completely covered in snow within 5 miles.
Is there any other option other than replacing them with heated lights?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Well, you could replace them with halogens instead of heated LEDs, but I don't think that's the solution you had in mind.

There are some spray-on de-icers that supposedly last several hours, and I've read reports of stuff like cooking spray keeping them from freezing up, but I've never tried any of that. I stuck with halogens because I had similar problems with a previous vehicle.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Must have been some very wet snow? I've driven across the Sierra in the middle of a decent wet snowstorm and my windshield was getting caked around the corners but the headlights were fine. They may have had some snow sticking but I guess I wasnt going faster than 30mph due to conditions and had plenty of light.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
There are certain situations that even Halogens don’t produce enough heat to melt snow or ice off the lights. And some situations were Halogens just melt the snow enough that it sticks to the light worse then LED. Both have their plus and minuses but overall the LEDs win out.
Up north here we still prefer the LEDs overall, heated or not. After 4 winters of non heated LED headlights I believe heated lights is just a gimmick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have a recon too and live in Montana where we get a lot of snow and I have not had any issues. We get wet snow, dry snow, freezing rain and everything in between. I would drive to and from work in the dark all winter long in the heaviest snow and never did snow cause me not to see. The lights might have been covered but the lights still shown thru. As was said above even old fashioned headlights get covered but they generally don
t put off as much light and may be worse in some condition

·
Registered
736 Posts
since I run heated LEDs I've never had a problem

but anecdotally I will say..
my heated LEDs are a split heated circuit
meaning if i'm running low beams only half of the heating element is on.
incidentally the low beam and its heater is located on the top half of the lens.
in bad weather while the top half of the lens is always snow and ice free,
the bottom half is often covered in ice and snow.
if I fire up the high beams and its element, the bottom clears off in a couple of min.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Here in New England, I had some pretty substantial problems with snow caking onto my headlights years ago. I had to stop every ten minutes or so and clean them off. This was not in a jeep, so things may be different there.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
hid's tend to keep the snow melted, but they are usually not advised to run in the stock housing, and if you do, they are a pain to adjust them for a decent light output without completely blinding other drivers.

i have a 60 mile drive round trip to work on the thruway, and have already had snow pack my led headlights up this year. its like driving with candles hanging off the front of my jeep at 70 mph!

i think the only solutions are hid's, stock halogens, heated led's, or drive with candle power when it snows heavy with unheated led's.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I have run the JW Speaker Evolution J's since 2016, and there have been exactly two occurrences in that time where I have had snow build up and cover the LED headlights.

It really depends on the type of snow, temperature and length of your trip as to whether headlights icing up will be an issue. For people living in the snow belt where that type of accumulation is a probability, heated LEDs would be the ticket. I am satisfied with the headlights I bought, and if I had to replace them tomorrow I would have to think long & hard.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I have run the JW Speaker Evolution J's since 2016, and there have been exactly two occurrences in that time where I have had snow build up and cover the LED headlights.

It really depends on the type of snow, temperature and length of your trip as to whether headlights icing up will be an issue. For people living in the snow belt where that type of accumulation is a probability, heated LEDs would be the ticket. I am satisfied with the headlights I bought, and if I had to replace them tomorrow I would have to think long & hard.
I have the same issue, but I may have found a solution if replacing them ever was really needed. My Evo J's do ok, but sometimes I wish they were heated. Quadratec's house brand is designed with JWS and heated. It's a step back to the Evo 2 design but it does have dual burn.

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-wrangler-jk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have the Quadratec JW Speaker heated lights. I went back and forth trying to decide if I needed them here in MT or notbefore opting to spend the extra few bucks for safety. Tonight road conditions were miserable with heavy snow and extremely low visibility. My LED fogs iced over, the headlights did not. Was thankful to have them.

·
Premium Member
8,341 Posts
Well, we know someone who was watching LivePD tonight. That was in Montana.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I don't know what LivePD is, but yes, this was between Rock Creek and Clinton. Passed him as Highway Patrol were putting flairs out. The snow doesn't look bad in this pic, but when I passed (barely doing 25 in an 80) visibility was atrocious.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have had multiple situations where my evo j's have coated over with wet snow. Even coated they had better output than my OE halogens. And cold snow doesn't affect them at all where my OE would melt it and coat with ice.
The overall safety easily outweighs the rare situation.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,101 Posts
I have the factory leds. I did experience them getting covered once last year.
If I had to deal with snow on a regular basis in my Jeep, I would install halogen auxiliary lights on my bumper.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Here in New England, I had some pretty substantial problems with snow caking onto my headlights years ago. I had to stop every ten minutes or so and clean them off. This was not in a jeep, so things may be different there.
I've been driving in Toronto for almost 30 years now. I've just been conditioned over the years to assume thats normal winter driving. The kind of snow that sticks on headlights also tends to clog up around my wipers too. Every so often I get out and quickly clear the wipers and the lights if I need to.

Keep in mind though that traffic around here is some of the worst in the world, so there are many opportunities to get out of your vehicle for 30 seconds without traffic moving. It happens on my GM Savana lights, it happens on my JK LED's, it happens on my gf's HID's. Doesn't matter in my experience.

If I had a lot of highway driving I'd probably be more concerned about it.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
It's good to see a thread where most of it acknowledges this problem. So often, I see headlight/snow threads filled with people saying it's not a problem.

I drove with stock headlights for about a month before putting heated trucklites on. That was years ago and I haven't had to clean them a single time. I drive in blizzards as well as normal mild snow.

Stock headlights caked in either, heated simply don't.

I do agree with the earlier response that some heated lights only heat the beam that's on (low or high). If I go from low beam to high beam, it takes 20-30 seconds to clear the high beam. I rarely use high beam in snow; it's blinding.

·
Registered
736 Posts
this phenomenon is highly jeep specific .
if you have a vehicle with an aerodynamic front end ,
the shapes , angles and airflow will help sweep LED lenses clear of ice and snow.

but as owners of jeeps we laugh in the face of aerodynamics.HA!!
in fact our headlights are even placed in little bowls designed to catch whatever material might hang in the air
you know , just cause it dosent matter!

·
Premium Member
'17 willys wheeler
193 Posts
i have a half hour drive home from work. once last year i was driving into the wind and very wet snow. had to stop half way home and wipe off the led headlights.

i wouldn't have wanted to be driving cross country and having to stop all the time in that snow

it is an issue imo, based on type of snow, wind direction etc. a couple of dryer snows and i didn't have to stop and wipe them off
i have stock led headlights

edit.....having said the above, i wouldn't change out led's for old style headlights

1 - 20 of 35 Posts