Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our manual states snow chains can be put on all 03 trim models except the Sahara. I'm just curious as to why. I'd like to put some on it. Anyone out there use them on this trim model?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I've got the Sahara and I use chains on it without any problems and I've got 31x1050x15 tires.
So overall I don't see why the manual would state that. You think that the jeep is a tank and beast to start throw chains on it and you will have a hard time getting stuck with them on.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The manual States something like,

"Use chains on P205/75R15 or P215/75R15 tires only.
P225/75R15, LT30 x 9.50R15, and LT245/75R16 tires
do not provide adequate clearance."

Must be clearance problems!

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
I'm sure it has to do with stuffing the larger tires on stock rims with factory BS into the wheel wells. I have the same issue on my stocker Tahoe. Using limited clearance chains for her. They're a little light-weight BUT if I ever really needed to chain up to keep the CHP happy I could.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,135 Posts
The Sahara has bigger flares which gives the tires slightly less overall clearance. If your Jeep has any sort of a lift at all and aftermarket wheels that will space the tires further out a tad, you will be able to run chains.

Or for less trouble, run cables instead of chains. Cables aren't quite as aggressive as chains are but they don't need as much clearance either. With a 4x4 Jeep, cables should be more than enough to get you where you need to go when on the street. Only in deep offroad snow would I go straight to chains. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone, i'll try the cables because i'm looking at not getting stuck on pavement in snow. No offroad in snow for me, so that may work. we live in a rural mountain area and I don't want to get stuck on the mountain if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
280 Posts
@Nissanman1: like people have said they will work. I've been running chain chains and not cable chains and the only thing I've noticed is that I get slight rub with the chains at full turn lock, otherwise no problems and I live on a unmaintained road so when it comes to snow I've had to use them to make sure I can get out. Hopes this helps you out a bit more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts