Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so the other day me and my buddy were out playing around in the ton of snow we got dumped on us up here in Edmonton, AB. Everything was going good until we reached a bit of a hill, first I tried to make it up in 4h, but after making it halfway up and doing nothing but spinning the tires I rolled back down and switched to 4L. This attempt was going well until just about the top of the hill when it seemed I lost traction again and my wheels began to slip. This time things were a little different, the shifter knob starting shaking quite violently aswell as the rest of the vehicle. I first thought it may have been offbalanced tires spinning due to snow packed in them, but realized I was only at about 2500 rpm in 4L, so there wasn't a whole lot of spin happening.

Now my question is, is this rattling normal? And what is the cause?

On a side note, eventually rattled my way up the hill and got stuck moving forward, ended up reversing back down the hill and taking another way out of the area I was at, clipping my rear bumper in the process and nearly taking it off. *cringe* Guess I'll just have to upgrade to a metal one! =D

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Yes it is normal.. Someone who understands as to why better will have to explain it though..

·
Kansas Coyote
575 Posts
^X2...Because of the higher torque in 4low...when you loose traction...things are gunna start dancin! :D

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:D If it had been only in 4hi-coulda been "TORQUE SHUDDER", but

Also in 4lo was uneven traction swap between all four tires and tire spin, NEVER use tire spin to climb a hill(SNOW), should be everso gentle low RPM !!

You also need GOOD tires for off-road !

:rofl::rofl: JIMBO

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Under 5mph in 4L is what I've always been told. Only for pulling/pushing in Low 1. (or first gear)

The shuttering is the tires hopping (dancing) back and forth to grab traction left to right... left to right... etc... It means your trying to go to fast and they are loosing traction and gaining and loosing, etc...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah ok, so in short I shouldn't let my tires spin in 4lo. And I shouldn't try to get much speed in 4lo aswell. And I should get better tires... Gotcha. =p

Thanks for the advice gents, I'm a bit new to true 4x4. My previous vehicle was a compass with "4x4". Haha yea right...

On a side note, how much do you guys think I could sell my stock tires/rims for up here in Canada? Saharra edition jeep.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Depends on condition of the tires and what tires they are.. Also as to the tires sliping.. It's gonna happen.. What they mean by tires slipping in 4LO.. Is that you shouldn't be going over 25mph in 4LO and when you get up to those speeds in 4LO and you start to slip is when you get wheel hop.. Especially noticed when going up hill

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are bridgestone dueler tires, only 7000km on them. So they are still fairly new. Just got my jeep back in October, been having fun with it ever since. =D I wasn't going that fast, maybe 5-6 km trying to get up the hill, it was alot of fun anyways.

Thanks =)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts