Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recommendations on snow tires to get? Or any ideas to weigh down the back of the Jeep. My Jeep fishtails really bad in snow and got me into an accident this morning. So I am trying to weigh all my options.

1) sell my jeep, which I really don't want to
2) get snow tires and only use them from Dec-Feb
3) add sand bags to the back of my jeep when they are calling for snow.

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
What are you running now?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Runng...Sorry not understanding what you mean.

But I have an 06' Jeep Wrangler, on 33x12.5xx15 Dunlop Mud Rovers (Which I know suck in snow, unless it is deep)

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
I would personally recommend the Goodyear Duratrac. No tire is going to give you traction on ice, but if you are driving in snow this is a great tire. You're not going to find a better vehicle for performance in the snow. Change your tires, not your ride.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Nitto Mud Grapplers eat Snow :)

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
Cooper STT's or Nokian Vativia MT's

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have BFG A/T KO's and have never lost traction under snow, unless I was trying to do so.......WEEEEE!

·
Registered
184 Posts
BFG AT KOs kick butt

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I just bought new Wrangler RT/S for my jeep and a set of Firestone Destination LE's for my wife Durango and so far I am pleased with both sets of tires.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Are you using 4h for the snow and ice? 2wd in the snow sucks bad.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
I don't mean to sound like a prick, but I know it's gonna come off that way... I like how your Jeep got you into the accident and not your lack of winter driving skills.

Good tires will definitely make a world of difference in snow driving if you don't already have good winter tires on there...I'd recommend the Goodyear Duratracs from what I've heard bout them. I run the BFG A/T's...they're decent, but the Duratracs seem to be better yet AND they're cheaper.

Weighing down the back of the Jeep will also help, but make sure you secure the weight so it doesn't become a projectile in the event of a collision and also make sure that you NEVER put weight BEHIND the rear axle. The best location is directly above it...or slightly in front of it if you can't put it directly overhead.

In the end though...if you aren't proficient at driving in the snow, the best tires and all the weight in the world aren't going to stop you from having future accidents. Selling the Jeep might help reduce that risk, but only because a Jeep has a short wheelbase, so the risk of accidents due to lack of skill is multiplied. Either way, I would highly recommend going out in a nice open parking lot and practice losing control on icy turns and learn how to correct it without overcorrecting or making the wrong moves.

For one, you'll learn the proper techniques to follow in the situation...and you'll get used to that feeling of sliding out of control and you won't be as prone to panicking and/or freezing up when you need to be working the steering wheel or the gas/brakes.

Edit: Btw, as mentioned...running in 4wd helps tremendously for winter driving provided there's enough snow/ice on the roads for the tires to properly slip, especially on turns. But keep in mind...acceleration may be muuuuch better, but braking will still SUCK...and your ass end may still come around on you if you turn too sharp.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My Jeep has 30x9.5x15 BFG T/A KO's. We got hit with about 30" on the 26th. They really dragged their feet (some think intentionally) plowing the roads. The streets were covered pretty good for days. I had absolutely no problem in the snow.

Now if you want to run dedicated snow tires, I would imagine they'd be that much better. Prior to the Jeep I drove Mustang GTs year round, including through snow...

I put Firestone winterforce tires on my 2000 GT in the winter and ~125lbs of sand bags in the trunk. It handle great in the snow.

With my Jeep (especially after this last storm) I don't see a need to run different tires in the winter. The BFGs work great...

In a strictly rear wheel drive vehicle, adding weight to the rear of the car can really help in gaining traction.

With a 4 wheel drive vehicle I think it's a trade off (and I lean to not adding weight). The added weight will help out in traction when you're vehicle is in 2 wheel drive. However, if it's slippery enough that you are loosing traction, you should be running in 4 wheel drive. Adding weight is also that much more weight that needs to be stopped when you're braking.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations on snow tires to get? Or any ideas to weigh down the back of the Jeep. My Jeep fishtails really bad in snow and got me into an accident this morning. So I am trying to weigh all my options.

1) sell my jeep, which I really don't want to

Any help or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Hows this: TRY 4WD!:banghead:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Is it me or do people just not know how to drive in snow anymore?
No offense to the OP but it just seems everywhere i go people are blaming their vehicles and tires and not themselves for poor performance in snow and ice.

First off, why sell the jeep over a little snow? First time you drive whatever vehicle you get next your sure to be in the same situation minus the short wheelbase. Besides, unless you live in a snow band there isn't snow all the time.

As stated above, take your jeep into a parking lot and practice thats what i did and still do from time to time when we get our first snow each year here. Your better off getting a feel for your jeep now then having to start over with a new vehicle.

·
Registered
65 Posts
i have cooper stt and they are decent. Like everybody has said it's going to be hard to find a tire that is good on ice. These are good in snow and ok on ice. 4wd and take your time. i live in wy and it snows for about 6 months out of the year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha no offense taken to any of the above comments. Everything deffently helped. And yes I was in 4h, however that was after the accident. Leason learned thats for sure.

As for the parking lot, that is deffently somthing I need to try, however I've noticed everytime we've had snow, it was always on a weekday...So I am kinda screwed since work. But deff not trying to make that as excuse, will just have to go after work or something of the sorts.

S3nt3nc3d…You deff did not come off sounding like a prick. I knew what you were meaning. And I'll be the first to admit, I am not the best driving in the snow. Its not something I have to daily, but something I will have to learn.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I have had real good luck with both BFG and Pro Comp all terrain . Both have the severe weather rating which you can tell a tire that meets that quailification by the picture of the mountains on the sidewall . From what I was told that rating means you do not need chains on your tires in the areas of the country where they are required in the snow

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Jeep is squirly in the snow but if I keep it in 4WD its fine with my rear locker.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts