Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I bought a used Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited Sport (S? Not sure how to tell) earlier this year. Due to various circumstances, I plan on driving it cross country from California to New York in January. New York in general gets bad winters, but I will also be driving through Colorado. Additionally, I will likely be moving to Colorado within the next year. Thus, I decided I want to fit the Jeep with snow tires before the trip.

It came from the dealer with 255/75R17 tires on it, and the tread is getting pretty worn. I was hoping to put a set of snow tires on those rims and then get new summer tires and rims after everything melts out. However, the snow tire options for 255/75R17 are basically non existent. I heard that you can put different tires on the same rims, but that can also affect speedometer and transmission stuff.

So my question is, does anyone have experience with what tire sizes I could safely use? And would it be a better idea to buy new rims for the snow tires instead (not preferable but safety comes first)? I did read that smaller snow tires may perform better, but this is all out of my area of knowledge.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
slap some Falken AT3W's on it. They have the snow peak rating and do exceptional in winter driving. If you have 3.73 gears you can step up to 255/80-17 for a little taller tire.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
slap some Falken AT3W's on it. They have the snow peak rating and do exceptional in winter driving. If you have 3.73 gears you can step up to 255/80-17 for a little taller tire.
Thanks for the insights! May I ask why the 3.73 gears is important here for the slightly higher aspect ratio as well as benefits of a taller tire? I’m trying to learn what I can about the new car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have BFG K02's and they are excellent in the snow. They are also severe winter service rated with the mountain snowflake which is required in some state for winter driving.

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Thanks for the insights! May I ask why the 3.73 gears is important here for the slightly higher aspect ratio as well as benefits of a taller tire? I’m trying to learn what I can about the new car.
only important in as much as the 255/80-17 is a taller tire so will hurt your power a little if you have 3.21's.

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2018 JKU has the cold weather package which included 265/70-17 BFG K02 tires. A bit wider and slightly smaller diameter than the 255/75-17 tires. Specs on the Tire Rack site shows the diameter of the 265/70-17 at 31.6" (657 revs. per mile) and the 255/75-17 at 32.1 (649 revs. per mile). So they're pretty comparable in size and the difference would have a miniscule effect on your speedometer readings.

My 2016 4Runner Trail also has BFG K02 265/70-17 tires. But, in the winter I run a same-size set of Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 winter tires on a separate set of wheels. Like the Wrangler, factory take-off wheels are easy to find at a reasonable price (I got a perfect factory set for $450 off of the 4Runner forum).

Where the Blizzaks really excel is on packed snow and icy roads, which we get a lot of in Colorado. Much better than the BFG K02's in those conditions in my opinion. While the K02's are good in deep snow, I found that they break loose quite easily on hard-packed snow and ice. Of course, the K02's are much better off road.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Living at 8k in Colorado i can tell you the best i have ever used was the Hakapaletta 9. And as for k02, if you ever drive using a real snow tire, you will realize quickly just how bad the k02's are on packed snow/ice. The fact that they are better than good year or some other AT does not define them as a good tire for those conditions.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
Throw your tire size into this then compare to other tire sizes.

Now, regarding snow tires, NOTHING else compares to a true snow tire...NOTHING!! Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise, yes, there are AT’s that do well in snow BUT a true snow tire will outperform them period. Look at Hankook’s, Nexan’s, Falken just about every tire company makes a designated snow tire. Discount Tire will be able to help you with sizes and tire comparison. Personally I’m not a fan of Blizzaks, when they’re new they perform exceptionally well, however once they start wearing down they do not provide the same traction.

These are Toyo Observe GSi-5 snow tires...I’ll be running them on my Subaru this winter...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts