Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the jeep thing and as our snow builds here I really want to drive around in it and climb on some snowy hills. I want to know the proper procedures and techniques for snow wheeling to keep my car safe.. anything down to the seemingly obvious don't floor it into a snowbank.

btw I have a 97 4.0 with a standard trans. 31" tires.

Thanks Happy wheelin!

·
Registered
419 Posts
^ What he said!

I just got back from big bear and hit up some trails in my gf's lifted TJ with 33" BFG KO's

We couldn't climb hills even in 4LO... lol... we just ran through mud instead :)

But seriously either go with someone else to pull you out if you get stuck, have a winch and lockers would help.

If we had any of this we would have pushed it but otherwise sitting stuck in the middle of the woods while it's in the 30's is no fun.

Tire chains may help or studs... I dunno. And bring some bags of sand because it works wonders on ice

·
Registered
16,641 Posts
heavy snow.. stay on top.. don't spin your tires.. Air down..

light snow you want to maintain your speed.. Dont slow down but also don't go to fast.. you are wheeling after all..

bring a friend with another 4x4. Have recovery equipment and comunication devices.. I.E CB Radios.. Also If you can bring someone with a winch that helps out a ton

finally have fun out there :wavey:

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
8 psi :).

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Oh, and always carry a shovel...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Make sure you have tow points on the jeep there should be one in the back and two up front. Bring a tow strap dont use one with the metal hooks on the end there should just be closed loops on the end. Dont use a chain to pull you out if it snaps it can be deadly. Bring a shovel with you too makes it much easier to get out if stuck. Go with another 4x4 vehicle. Bring some blankets incase you end up waiting for a while. Dress warm gloves heavy jacket boots long johns. Anything you can think of to keep warm. Maybe some basic tools like a socket set some wrenchs a spare tire a tire iron pliers. As stated before stay on top of the heavy stuff and air down. If its light snow keep the tires inflated to recommended pressure to dig down and get some good traction. Be smooth on the gas and keep your momentum going. If you slow and get stuck dont just pin the gas and try to get out youl dig yourself in a hole. If this happens throw it in reverse and ease on the gas then drive and ease on the gas you might be able to rock it out. Thats all I can think of. Bring a thermas full of hot coco too if youd like and some snacks.
Have fun out there and be safe :) Ian.

·
Show Me Your 8008135!
3,690 Posts
Don't eat the yellow snow!!!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Def don't go alone (like everyone already said). I was just wheeling in the snow at rausch creek and I had to pull my buddy out three times since he has open differentials and couldn't get traction of anything. Also, like said above, a tow strap is better than chains. have fun!

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
I thought this thread could use a little color... check these out I found on Google, for all we know, its probably forum members!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts